The Mount Carmel College, Autonomous, is committed to empower women who are socially and economically marginalized in the community through a value based integral approach. Keeping this as criteria, the college has started an Equal Opportunity Cell (EOC), which will conduct several programs to impart knowledge about the social rights of the Minorities and SC/ST sections.
The UGC has planned to establish Equal Opportunity Centers in colleges to oversee the effective implementation of policies and programs for disadvantaged groups. These groups are SCs, STs, women, OBC (non-creamy layer), minorities and physically challenged persons.
The main objectives of establishing this cell in colleges are
- To provide guidance and counseling with respect to academic, financial, social and other matters.
- To ensure equity and equal opportunity to the community.
- To look into the grievances of the weaker sections of society and suggest amicable solution to their problems.
- To disseminate the information related to schemes and programs by Government and other agencies for the welfare of the socially weaker section. and
- To sensitize the college on the problems related SC/ST and Minorities.
Equal Opportunity Cell in Mount Carmel College functions under the
Dr. Sr. Arpana, Principal
Ms. Uma Thavamani
- Ms. Haseen
- Ms. Dorothy
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY CELL ACTIVITIES
- The Equal Opportunity Cell conducted an orientation program on 9thJan 2018, at 10:00 am to address the students to disseminate different social, economic and educational programs conducted by the Government of Karnataka through Minorities and SC/ST departments.
- Dr. E. Venkataiah, IAS, Rtd., Advisor to Nodal agency for SCSP and TSP, Social Welfare Department Vikasa Soudha, Bengaluru Government of Karnataka was the keynote speaker.
- Dr. E. Venkataiah, enlightened the students about the various schemes available for Minorities and SC/ ST Students.
- Students from both UG & PG attended the orientation program. The students belonging the Minorities and SC/ST students were requested to register their names in Equal opportunity cell to avail more information on various schemes offered through Directorate of Minorities, Minority Welfare department, and Social Welfare Department, Government of Karnataka .
Minorities Right Day Program
- To mark the “Minorities rights day” on 18 th December 2018, the Equal Opportunity Cell conducted an awareness program to disseminate different social, economic and educational programs available for Minorities by the Minority Welfare Department, Directorate of Minorities, Government of Karnataka.
- Mr. Niaz Ahmed Sheriff M, M.Com, Joint Director,Minority Welfare Department, Directorate of Minorities, Bengaluru, Government of Karnataka was the Keynote speaker.
- The Directorate of Minorities ensure a more focused approach towards issues relating to the notified Minorities communities, namely Muslim, Christians, Jains, Buddhist, Sikhs and Parsis. The Directorate working with a vision to enable all the Minority community people to lead a productive life with equal opportunities in the field of Socio, Economic, Education etc.
- Mr. Niaz Ahmed Sheriff M, introduced schemes to promote accelerated socio-economic development of Minorities, educational concessions for students, implementation of schemes for development of Women and Children, providing training and employment opportunities.
- Brochures entitled “Know about Minorities Schemes”, “Civilization can be judged by the way it treats its minorities”- Mahatma Gandhi, was distributed amongst student to get more information about the schemes.