The BA Honours in Communication and Media is a skill-based program covering 32 papers over three years. The course has been designed to introduce the students to the various areas in the Communication/media space, including design, literature, film and photography studies and creative writing. They will also be exposed to media theories and law which will help them graduate the course with an in-depth understanding of media, along with literature.
Learning in this course is not limited to the four walls of a classroom; most learning happens through group projects and field work. Students are sent out to interview experts and conduct field research and are constantly mentored by teachers with wide experience in their fields. We strongly believe in bringing guest faculty for as many modules as we can, so as to provide maximum exposure to all fields.
Students will graduate with an Honours degree in Communication and Media, which equips them with skills for sectors ranging from filmmaking to science communication, from creative writing to research. Many of our students have had networking opportunities through projects and internships, during the course itself. Our alumni have gone on to become illustrators, product photographers as well as radio professionals, among others.
Students who opt for this program will study under the Department of Communication Studies and will take an interdisciplinary approach to the field of communication.
Head of Department
Ms. Sharon Lopez
M.A., M.Phil., NET, PGDCRL
VisionTo generate strategies of creative expression, creative thought and accommodate the pursuit of knowledge.
MissionThe department works towards creating skilled creative media professionals who have the ability to think critically and pursue ethical action.
The syllabus is designed to focus on
- Enhancing language skills in English
- Understanding styles as a practitioner of literature
- Experimenting with composition
- Writing for Media
- Business & Corporate Communication
- Management Skills
Building Critical Theory
- Getting introduced to various Media
- Getting some technical skills related to the Media
- Media production
- Introducing theories of Culture
- Introducing theories of Media
- Development of Communication
- Research Methods, including Media research
- Listening and speaking comprehension
- Group discussions
- Speaking for radio and television
- Presentation skills
The candidate must fulfill the following to apply for this course:
- Passed Std XII/ PUC or equivalent school leaving examinations
- Proficient in the English language
- Have an interest in current affairs and the Media
- Have the ability to work hard and with consistency
- Have a creative bent of mind
TESTING AND EVALUATION
Note: All applicants to Communication Studies (Honours) have to appear for a common entrance test.The entrance test is designed to check the aptitude of a student. The test checks knowledge of current affairs, basic grammar, general knowledge, and Media interest. Total number of seats: 30 Note:
- All admissions into the Honours course is through this entrance test alone.
- The test center is only at Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. On-line testing facilities have not been activated.
- No recommendations will be entertained outside of the results of this test.
COURSE GRID FOR DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC PROGRAMME B.A HONS IN COMMUNICATION STUDIES UNDER NEP 2020
Run since 2015 as a 3 year Hons Programme under CBCS with approval from
Bangalore University (University Notification dated 28-04-2014/30-07-2015)
|Semester I||Semester II|
|DSC-1 Functional Writing (4)||DSC-4 Introduction to Journalistic Skills (4)|
|DSC-2 Creative Writing (4)||DSC-5 Readings & Approaches (4)|
|DSC-3 Narrative Techniques (4)||DSC-6 Theatre & Communication (4)|
|OE-1 Introduction to Graphic Design (3)||OE-2 Introduction to Information Design (3)|
|Exit option with Certificate in Communications (48 Credits)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|DSC-7 Writing for Radio (4)||DCS-10 Writing, Through Social Media (4)|
|DSC-8 Journalism across Media (4)||DSC-11 Writing for Advertising & PR (4)|
|DSC 9 Perspectives in Indian Art (4)||DSC-12 Intro to Media Studies (4)|
|OE-3 Film Appreciation (3)||OE-4 Introduction to the Philosophy of Science (3)|
|Exit option with Diploma in Communications (96 Credits)|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|DSC-13 Writing for Television & Broadcast Journalism (4)||DSC-16 Digital Content Strategy (4)|
|DSC-14 Film Making (4)||DSC-17 Contemporary India (4)|
|DSC-15 Texts & Contexts (4)||DSC 18 Indian Literature (4)|
|DSE-1 A. Elements of Narrative Cinema (3) |
DSE-1 B. History and Practice of Documentary Films (3)
|DSE 2 A. Short Film Production (3)|
DSE 2 B. Documentary Production (3)
|Vocational 1- Introduction to Economics (3)||Vocational 2- Marketing Communication (3)|
|Internship - 1 (2)||Internship - 2 (2)|
|Exit option with Bachelor of Communication Studies Degree (140 Credits)|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|DSC-19 Intro to Cultural Studies (4)||DSC-22 Media & Law (3)|
|DSC-20 Science Communication (4)||DSC-23 Portfolio of Writing (3)|
|DSC-21 Advanced Creative Writing (4)||DSC-24 Communication & Development (3)|
|DSE 3 A. Web Design (3)|
DSE 4 B Web Development (3)
|DSE 4 A. Moot Court (3)|
DSE 4 B Solutions Journalism(3)
|Vocational 3: EDP (3)||Vocational 4: Media Management|
|Research Methodology (3)||Research project (6)|
|Award of Bachelor of Communication Studies Honours Degree (180 Credits)|
Apart from the ones above, you will also have Skill Enhancement Courses (SEC) in Page Design (2), Sound Design (2) , Applied Economics (2) and Film Editing Software (2).
Our goal is to prepare students for future career options in:
- Writing for the Media
- Professional Creative Writing
- Media Production
- Web Content Development
- Management: Media Management, and Production Management
- Corporate Communications, including HR & PR.
In our programme, students learn:
- TV And Film
- Media And Law
- Cultural Studies
- Research Methods
- Corporate Communications
- Developmental Communications
- Marketing Communications
- To cater to the requirements of the industry while also enabling critical thinking and creative expression.
- To train in writing for different media and equip students with the necessary technical skills to produce content for different media channels.
- To fine-tune reading, research and analytical skills.
- To understand contemporary Indian socio/economic/political/cultural contexts and integrate this analysis into producing work.
- One-day State Level Seminar of Empowerment of Women, “Shakti” on 17th February, 2014.
- Corporate Mela – Bridging the Industry – Academia Divide.