The dual discipline BA program prepares you for the exciting world of opportunities in Psychology and Sociology. This program will enable the students to build strong theoretical foundation and skill sets in the science of human mind which would enable them to apply their knowledge in varied areas ranging from Counselling, Industrial, Organizational, Education, Sports and Health. For a student of Sociology, the program aims to build an understanding of society, human relations and how the individual behaviour influences civilizations and their cultures. Students will get wide exposure to divergent sociological perspective political order and society.
PO1: To equip students with practical skills to develop into psychologists.
PO2: To help students develop a good foundation to become mental health professionals.
PO3: To train students to develop adequate research skills to function in any field of psychology.
PO4: To think critically by exercising sociological imagination, be a social entrepreneur, survey designers, social statistician and research analyst.
PO5: To train and equip students to enable participation in research groups and market research firms.
PO6: To prepare students with necessary skill sets to serve in development agencies, government departments in policy making and project.
|Semester||Course Title||Lecture Hours||Credits|
|I||DSCA1 - Fundamentals of Psychology||4+2||6|
|DSCB1 – Understanding Sociology||3||3|
|DSCB2 - Changing Social Institutions in India||3||3|
|AEC1 – Environmental Studies||2||2|
|II||DSCA2 - Essentials of Psychology||4+2||6|
|DSCB3 - Foundations of Sociological Theory||3||3|
|DSCB4 - Sociology of Rural Life in India||3||3|
|III||DSCA3- Child Development||4+2||6|
|DSCB5- Social Stratification and Mobility||3||3|
|DSCB6 - Sociology of Urban Life in India||3||3|
|IV||DSCA4 - Psychology of Adolescence & Adulthood||4+2||6|
|DSCB7- Population and Society||3||3|
|DSCB8 - Sociology of Food and Culture||3||3|
|AEC2 – India & Indian Constitution||2||2|
|V||DSCA5 - Industrial and Organizational Psychology||3+2||5|
|DSCB9 - Methods in Sociological Research||4||4|
|DSCB10- Modern Sociological Theories||4||4|
|VI||DSCA7- Social Psychology||3+2||5|
|DSCB11- Tools of Data Collection and Data Analysis||3+2||5|
|DSCB12- Social Entrepreneurship||3+2||5|
|STUDENT WILL OPT FOR ONE DISCIPLINE AS MAJOR & PURSUE THE 4TH YEAR OF THE HONOURS PROGRAM|
|VII||DSC A9 / DSC B13||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|DSC A10 / DSC B14||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|DSE A1 / DSE B13||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|DSE A1 / DSE B14||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|23 / 19|
|VIII||DSC A11||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|DSC A12||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|DSE A3||5 / 4||5 / 4|
|21 / 18|
1. Course Descriptions
• DSC A- Discipline Specific Course Psychology
• DSC B- Discipline Specific Course Sociology
• DSE- Discipline Specific Elective
• OE- Open Elective
• SEC- Skill Enhancement Course
• AEC- Ability Enhancement Course
• L1- English
• L2- Kannada/Hindi/Sanskrit/French/German
2. Student must opt for one of the discipline as major in the fourth year
3. Only those students who secure 75% marks or CGPA of 7.5 and above in the first six semesters may choose to undertake research in the 4th year. Honours students not undertaking research have to do 3 to 4 Additional Courses/Entrepreneurship Courses and Internship/Apprenticeship for 12 credits.
4. Students who complete the four year program with Research will be awarded BA (Honours with Research) in Psychology with Sociology as minor / in Sociology with Psychology as minor & students’ not undertaking research will be awarded BA (Honours) Psychology with Sociology as minor / in Sociology with Psychology as minor.
- Clinical Psychologist
- Sports Psychologist
- HR Manager
- Civil Service
- Teaching & Research
- Policy Analyst
- Social Worker