Studying Biochemistry is a way for students to build an interdisciplinary knowledge in the sciences. Students undertaking the Biochemistry course at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore the field and acquire an in-depth understanding of Biochemistry. By putting in a conscious effort to impart knowledge about the field by reputed professors and lecturers, this program is designed to foster a culture wherein students’ talent is amplified with empirical training and technical training, simultaneously amplified by thorough guidance. Graduates of this degree will be able to demonstrate their skills in Microbiology, Nutritional and Clinical Biochemistry, Forensic science, Analytical chemistry, Immunology, Organic Chemistry, academic research etc.
Advancement of Biochemistry through education, research, and service.
- Development of innovative methods of understanding the programs and the initiation of research programs
- Application of Biochemistry knowledge in day to day life
- Development of the highest quality PG programs
- To impart a firm theoretical foundation together with excellent practical training
- To bridge the gap between academics and industry with regular industrial visits
Head of the Department
Dr Kavitha Singh, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Associate Prof., Research Director,
Email : email@example.com
Single Major Program
2022 - 23
- Two days workshop on “Computational biology in drug discovery” on 21st & 22nd October 2022.
- Two days industrial visit and workshop on “Fermenter operations” on 2nd & 3rd November 2022.
- Seminar on “Omics” literature driven investigation of leptosperia interrogans organised by department on 27th January 2023.
- Pharma Training institution workshop on “Quality control, quality assurance and industry orientation” on 9th February 2023.
- Industrial visit to Stabicon and Apotex on 10th February 2023.
- Industrial visit to Poorna Prajna Institute of Scientific Research on 15th February 2023.
- One day workshop on “Clinical Research career- Scope for Biological Sciences” on 16th February 2023.
- CDP: Visit to “Bless society- An orphanage” on 11th March 2023.
2021 - 22
- Workshop on “Molecular docking dynamics in the drug discovery process” organized by the Department of Biochemistry on 12th and 13th November 2021.
- Science Academies’ Virtual Lecture Workshop on “Protein Folding in Health and Disease” organized by the Department of Biochemistry on 11th and 12th November 2021.
- Webinar on “Small but Mighty: Platelets in Hemostasis and Beyond” delivered by Dr. Manoj Paul, Post Doctoral Fellow, Centre for Blood Research, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada held on 4th February 2021.
- 4th Alumni Outreach and Reconnect Event, “Stride to Summit with our Biochemists” held on 4th June 2022.
2020 - 21
- 1st Alumni Outreach and Reconnect Event, “Thrive on the Right Platform – An Alumni Interaction” held on 8th August 2020.
- National webinar on ‘RNA mediated gene regulation’ conducted on 3rd August 2020.
- 2nd Alumni Outreach and Reconnect Event, “Stride to Summit with our Biochemists” conducted by the Department of Biochemistry held on 19th September 2020.
- “E-Workshop on Stability Studies and Chromatographic Techniques” in association with Pharma Training Institute (PTI) and Stabicon Lifesciences Pvt Ltd held on 10th November 2020.
- Guest lecture on “Altered rhythmic behaviour in Alzheimer’s Disease model flies on exposure to dLAN" by Dr. Manivannan, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, held on 26th March 2021.
- Workshop on “Quality Control and Quality Assurance” conducted by Pharma Training Institute (PTI) in collaboration with Department of Biochemistry, held on 18th March 2021.
2019 - 20
- Webinar Series on “Advances in Biochemistry and its Applications” from 25th – 28th May 2020.
- Workshop on “Quality, Manufacturing and Pharma Industry Orientation” conducted by Pharma Training Institute (PTI) in collaboration with Department of Biochemistry conducted on 16th-18th January 2020.
2018 - 19
- Workshop on Scientific Writing for final year students of M.Sc. Biochemistry.
- Workshop on Quality Control and Quality Assurance Conducted by Pharma Training Institute (PTI) In Collaboration with Mount Carmel College, Autonomous conducted on 10th January 2018.
- Indian Academy of Sciences sponsored Lecture Workshop on “Drug Discovery and Target Identification” held on 12th and 13th July 2018.
- MoU with companies BIOZEEN, Azymes Biosciences, Pharma Training Institute (PTI), Narayana Heath.
- The department regularly organises several WORKSHOPS on pharma training on QC/QA, research methodology using PRISM, SPSS, EXCEL software.
- Student oriented activities like Alumni Outreach and Reconnect Event.
- To add value to the program, students are encouraged to take up MOOC courses offered by Coursera and NPTEL.
Dr. Kavitha g Singh
Research Director & Associate Professor
Dr. Myrene R D'souza
Co-ordinator & Associate Professor
Dr. Shlini P
Dr. Vyshali P
Dr. Sowmyashree G
Dr. Thilagavathy A