The Department of Biotechnology, focusses on integrated teaching approach with hands on experience and research, utilizing basic knowledge from the biological sciences, and chemistry to solve practical problems in the fields of medicine, agriculture and chemical manufacturing. The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002 with Biotechnology undergraduate program. This program was offered in combination with Chemistry and Zoology/Botany. Under new education policy, Biotechnology is offered as a dual major program from 2021 onwards (BSc Biotechnology and Chemistry/Zoology). The designated emphasis in Biotechnology provides a very effective multidisciplinary Biotechnology concentration, which has enabled the department to introduce single major B.Sc (Hons) program in Biotechnology in the year 2023. Biotechnology undergraduate program is designed to offer fundamental training in basic scientific principles as well as in specific concepts, techniques, and applications used in Biotechnology. The Biotechnology B.Sc degree program is rigorous with cutting-edge biotechnology research and teaching to develop adaptable students with a strong foundation in skills that are relevant to the changing world of biotechnology as well as for jobs in various sectors of life sciences.
- To inculcate knowledge realizing biotechnology as one of the greatest intellectual enterprises of humankind, utilizing them to the advantage of humanity.
- To provide hands on training in instrumentation and techniques through scheduled laboratory procedures , experiments and in-house research projects.
- To organize training programs in advanced techniques for students.
- To organize visits to laboratories and industries of national repute to familiarize with current research technologies.
- To provide research projects to students and guide them to address and focus more on societal needs.
- To mould the students for a career in R & D.
- To improve the physical infrastructure by improvising the existing equipments and providing the required facilities.
- To provide knowledge resources to build up the academic excellence for students and teachers.
- To Provide entrepreneurship programs as part of the curriculum.
To develop academic and research orientation among the students, shaping biotechnology into a premier precision tool for the future and ensure that biotechnology is used for human welfare.
Head of the Department
Dr. Preetha Nair, Associate Prof., M.Sc., PDF, Ph.D.
Single Major Program
Dual Major Program
The department of Biotechnology has an active association named ‘Biogeniac’ that regularly publishes newsletters on topics that are in trend. It also organizes multiple activities at intra and inter collegiate levels. Community Development Programme on health awareness, covid vaccination awareness at old age homes and education service at government schools and children with special needs.
2023 - 24
- An interdisciplinary visit along with the department of History to the Archives at NCBS (National Centre for Biological Sciences) and an interaction with Professor Gita Chadha who is the Obaid Siddiqi Chair in NCBS Bangalore, 14-09-2023.
- Guest lecture on ‘Applications of Biotechnology in Fermented Food Products ’ by Dr. Seema Tharannum, Professor, Biological Sciences School of Engineering, Dayanand Sagar University, 21-09- 2023.
- Guest lecture on ‘Overseas Education and its Opportunities’ By Dr Ranjan Swarup, Professor, School of Science, Nottingham University, 19-07-2023.
2022 - 23
- Guest lecture on Fluorescence Microscopy by Dr. Giuseppe Lucarelli and oocyte mitochondria-Regulation of fertility and embryo development by Dr John Carroll, Monash University, Australia.
- Webinar on Mental health and Neurodiversity by Ms Swathi Vellal Raghunandan, Ishanya India Foundation, 30-06-2022.
- A 2-Day Workshop on Animal handling, dissecting and toxicity studies conducted by B FOR BIOLOGY, 27 and 28-03-2023.
- Guest lecture on From Biotech to Business by Mr Aravind Ganessin, MD, Dextrose Technologies Pvt Ltd, 30-03-2023.
- Guest lecture on Genomics and its applications by Dr Agnik Halder, Research Associate Scientist, and Ms Swastika Mandal, Application Scientist, Mediomix Diagnosis and Bioresearch, 13-04-2023.
2021 - 22
- Guest lecture on Clinical Trials, different stages of trials involved in the drug development process, by Dr Lakshmi Achuta, Shiba biotechnology Inc, California,14-09-2021.
- Translating research and riding the entrepreneurship wave by Dr Praapti Jayaswal, Aarogya AI, Bangalore, 16-01-2022.
2020 - 21
- Biotechnology skill enhancement programme (BiSEP), webinar series on protein design by Viresh Kumar Sheth, Shriyata Lifetech Pvt ltd and Designing a laboratory for Microbiology by Dr Deepti Saini, Protein Design Pvt ltd, Bangalore, 14 &15-09-2020.
- Career guidance workshop in clinical research by MMS Academy, Bangalore, 05-11-2020.
- Sequencing workshop by Genotypic Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore, 05-03-2021.
2019 - 20
- Guest lecture on Drug discovery development and commercialization by Dr Ajit Simh, Shiba biotechnology inc, California, 13-09-2019.
- Guest lecture on Vision for cellular imaging by Dr Meher Prakash, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) , Bangalore, 01-01-2020.
- Guest lecture on CRISP-R Technology by Biotecnika, Bangalore, 26-06-2019.
2018 - 19
- Guest lecture on current trends in innovation and its impact on talent recognition by Dr Ajit simh, Shiba biotechnology inc, California, 13-12-2018.
- Guest talk on cardiovascular disease by Dr Patanjali Sharma, Department of surgery, St Joseph Medical Centre, Pennsylvania, 04-01-2019.
- Approval from Karnataka Innovation and Technology Society (KITS), with the support of Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology to start PG diploma course called BiSEP (Biotechnology skill enhancement program), 2018.
- Dr Preetha Nair- INNO INDIGO* Partnership Programme Joint Call on Bioeconomy (CDTI (Spain) and GITA (India) funding under CDTI-DST(GITA) Program) Representing Academic partner from India; Mount Carmel College, 2018.
- MoU with companies BIOZEEN, BIONOME, CREDORA, MMS UNIVERSITY, MEDIOMIX DIAGNOSIS AND BIORESEARCH PVT LTD, DEXTROSE TECHNOLOGIES PVT LTD.
Dr. Preetha Nair
HOD & Associate Professor
Ms. Telphy Kuriakose
Dr. Sindhu Anoop
Dr. Bannhi Das
Ms. Thejaswi Bhandary
Ms. Sandhya K S
Ms. Saranya Jayaram