Department of Botany, one of the oldest departments of Mount Carmel College was started in the year 1952 as an UG department offering courses in combination with Chemistry, Zoology, Microbiology and Environmental Sciences. Botany department started offering PG in Botany in the year 2010 with specialization in Medicinal Plant Botany. Under NEP system at present the Department is offering courses in combination with Zoology and Microbiology.
The UG and PG course offers a comprehensive professional training in the field. The course believes in amalgamation of basic botany subjects with recent developments in the field, like Morphometries, Biochemistry, Biophysics and Taximetrics. The Department encourages students to take up research projects at both UG and PG level, exposing them to adequate Wet lab techniques.
The course work of Botany Department has helped students pursuing higher studies in Oxford University in Conservation Biology, Edinberg, Nappier University in Biomedical Sciences, Erasmus Mundus Masters Integrated course on Conservation Biology, University of Exeter in Evolutionary and Behavioural Ecology, Kiel University in Molecular Biology and Evolution. University of Alabama in Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds in Plant Science and Biotechnology. Students have cleared KSET, CSIR – NET and have been placed in leading CSIR, MoEF Institutes and IISc.
The course work in Botany helps students to ponder and encourage them to understand the plant system better which may be the answer to many unanswered questions. With new plant and animal diseases emerging, the search for new drugs, medicines and useful genes from plants to improve health is the need of hour. The study of plants is key to answer many questions for humanity.
- To take care of primary health care needs using locally available herbs
- To instill a love for nature through field trips, workshops, and community development programs
- To create awareness on the urgent need for the conservation of medicinal plants and herbal wealth
- To go beyond theoretical knowledge and introduce the students to the applied aspects.
To impart skill-based knowledge and achieve heights of excellence.
Head of the Department
Dr. Shalini B.U, Associate Prof., M.Sc, MBA, M.Phil., SLET, Ph.D.
Email : email@example.com
Dual Major Programs
2022 - 23
- Talk on “Innovations and patents in Plant Science” by Dr. Senthil Kumar, HoD and Associate Professor, Department of Botany, St. Joseph College, Trichy, on 8th August 2022.
- Talk on “Mycorrhizal fungi for Sustainable plant productivity” by Prof. Dans Joseph Bagyaraj (Centre for Natural Biological Resources and Community Development, Bengaluru on 13th September, 2022.
- Organised the event “Call for Conservation” presented by Adavi Alert Foundation at Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, Karnataka, India on 27th December 2023 under Institutional Social Responsibility Cell.
- A talk on an awareness session on intellectual property rights and patent filing by Dr. Babita Pas Tharappan on 13th March 2023.
- Guest lecture on Forensic Botany by Dr. Reena Susan Philip on 23rd March 2023.
- Industrial visit to Biocentre, Hulimavu and Transdisciplinary university, Yelahanka.
- Study trip to Pune- BSI, Kaas Plateau, Chivla and Malvan beach.
2021 - 22
- Webinar on “Yamuna Biodiversity Park – A model for Urban sustainability and Resilience” organised on 27th August 2021. Resource Person – Dr. Faiyaz A Khudsar (Scientist in charge, Yamuna Biodiversity Park).
- Webinar on “Where could Botany take you” organised on 9th September 2021. Resource person – Dr. P. Ravichandaran (Head, Department of Plant Science, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli).
- Workshop on “Molecular Techniques” organised in collaboration with Azyme Biosciences under DBT Star College Scheme on 26th October 2021. Resource Person – Dr. Mahesh M. (CEO, Azyme Biosciences, Bengaluru).
- Webinar on “NGS Applications and Opportunities” organised in collaboration with Bionivid on 31st January 2022 as an extension of MoU. Resource person - Sukalpa Mondal (Scientific Officer, BIONIVID).
- Webinar on “Bamboo – A grass with Bright prospects.” On 5th February, 2022. Resourse person – Punati Sirdhar (Retd. IFS), Bamboo Society of India.
- Organised an event “Walkathon - Freeing Trees from the Abuse of Nails Rode Signages & Posters” in association with Vruksha Foundation and Citizens for Citizens (C4C) - ISRC – Institutional Social Responsibility cell on 25th April 2022.
2020 - 21
- Webinar on “Immunity enhancing Medicinal Plants to combat Covid-19 pandemic with special reference to Siddha System” organised by Dept of Botany on 04th June 2021.
- International webinar on “Secret Treasures in Plant Science” from 19th July 2021 to 23rd July 2021.
2019 - 20
- A talk on Urban Forestry and its Conservation by Dr. Vijay Nishanth on 18th January 2019.
- A workshop “Sattva” was organised by Dept. of Botany, MCC, on 22th July 2019.
- A workshop - “Standardization of herbal drugs and analysis of the active principles” by Dr. Revathi P. was organised by Dept. of Botany, MCC on 10th January 2020.
- A workshop on “Histochemical Studies on Plant Tissues” by Prof. K.V. Krishnamurthy on 17th January 2020.
- “Herbal Preparations” - workshop was organized on 24th January 2020 by Dr. Lalitha B.K.
- An Industrial visit to Sri Sri Ayurveda on 02nd March 2020.
2018 – 19
- Recent Trends in Algal Biotechnology on 5th January 2018.
- A talk on Traditional system of Medicine and their importance was organized and the speaker was Dr. Nair M.N.B. on 29th June 2018.
- A Guest lecture by Dr. Kennedy Andrew Thomas on Research Methodology was organized on 27th July 2018.
- Workshop and community development programme - Samrohana – was organized on 3rd July 2018. As a part of the workshop a talk was organized by Dr. Poornima Devkumar.
- Science Academies Lecture Workshop on Recent Trends in Plant Taxonomy, Conservation Biology and Ethnobotany on 13 and 14th July 2018.
- Hand on training on Herbal Cosmetics on 08th December 2018.
- Workshop on Microtomy on 14th December 2018.
- Organized National conference and international webinar series.
- Faculty presentations in national and international conferences.
- Quality publications in national and international journals.
- Student presentation in various conferences and journals.
- Skill enhancement by industry personnel.
- Students are trained for first hand experiential learning by working with communities across various sections of the society.
- MoU with companies CIMAP, AZYME Biosciences, Bengaluru; BIONIVID Technology Private Ltd, Bengaluru; E2E, Bengaluru; Sri Sri college of Ayurvedic science and research, Bangalore.
- Interaction with tribal communities – Soliga, Girijana and Thoda.
- Community development programme on medicinal plants and herbal healthcare.
- Regular taxonomic trips to study distribution of plants and ecology.
- Industry visits.
Dr. George Lekha
Principal & Associate Professor
Dr. Shalini B U
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. Savitha M Murthy
Dr. Jayanthi D
Dr. Sumathi R
Ms. Sandhya Panicker
Dr. Priyanka Singla
Dr. Dakshayani Malkapur