Students undertaking the B.Sc Program in Community Science and Management at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore the technicalities of the field. The program is designed by reputed professors to foster a culture wherein students’ talent and creativity are enhanced and amplified with technical training and guidance.
The department harmoniously blends the disciplines of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Development, Resource Management, Textiles and Clothing, and Extension Education to foster the empowerment of young women. Our related laboratories are specially designed towards enforcing an empirical approach to learning. Internships are woven into the curriculum. Students are also encouraged towards innovative research to enhance the quality of family, community, and industry through scientific interventions.
On acquiring in-depth knowledge about the field and learning the qualitative and quantitative techniques, along with co-curricular activities, Graduates of this degree will be able to demonstrate their skills in the areas of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Development, Resource Management, Textiles, and Clothing and Extension Education.
The department is associated with the Department of Agriculture, the Government of Karnataka, and the Karnataka Nutrition Mission. “Mritika” is further an extension food outlet of the department engaged in spreading awareness on the health benefits of millets through the sale of freshly prepared food including ‘meal in a bowl’ salads.
To provide a humanized process of education based on the amalgamation of science, technology and humanities contributing towards an improved quality of life.
- To sensitize the learner towards individual needs and group needs of family and society
- To empower the learner with the knowledge to build a healthy social environment
- To enable them to identify professional and entrepreneurial opportunities in Home Science
Head of Department
Ms. Dorothy Anthony, Associate Professor., M.Sc., M.Phil., IGDCS.
Dr. Sundaravalli A, Associate Professor., M.Sc., B.Ed., M.Phil., Ph.D.
|Semester||Course Code||Course Title||Hours/Week|
|I||DSC-C1||Fundamentals of Textiles||3|
|DSC-C2||Fundamentals of Textiles Lab||2|
|DSC-C3||Extension Education and Communication||3|
|DSC-C4||Extension Education and Communication Lab||2|
|DSC-C5||Human Development I – Child Development||3|
|SEC1||Environmental Studies/ Digital Fluency||2|
|II||DSC-C6||Basic Nutrition and Food Science||3|
|DSC-C7||Basic Nutrition and Food Science Lab||2|
|DSC-C8||Fundamentals of Interior Design||3|
|DSC-C9||Fundamentals of Interior Design Lab||2|
|DSC- C10||Human Physiology||2|
|SEC1||Environmental Studies/ Digital Fluency||2|
|Students exiting the programme after securing 46 credits will be awarded UG Certificate in Home Science provided they secure 4 credits in work based vocational courses during summer term or internship/Apprenticeship in addition to 6 credits from skill-based courses earned during the first year.|
|III||DSC- C11||Family Meal Management||3|
|DSC- C12||Family Meal Management Lab||2|
|DSC-C13||Dyeing Printing and Finishing of Textiles||3|
|DSC-C14||Dyeing Printing and Finishing of Textiles Lab||2|
|IV||DSC- C16||Human Development II – Childhood and Adolescence||3|
|DSC-C17||Human Development II – Childhood and Adolescence Lab||2|
|DSC- C18||Traditional Textiles and Costumes of India||3|
|DSC- C19||Traditional Textiles and Costumes of India Lab||2|
|Students exiting the programme after securing 92 credits will be awarded UG Diploma in Home Science provided they secure additional 4 credits in skill based vocational courses offered during the first- or second- year summer term.|
|DSC- C22||Dietetics Lab||3|
|DSC-C23||Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Management||4|
|DSC- C24||Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Management Lab||3|
|DSC- C25||Human Development III – Adulthood and Family studies||4|
|DSE-E1||(a) Public Health Nutrition|
(b) Apparel production & Management
|Vocational I||Fundamentals of Pattern making & garment construction||3|
|VI||DSC- C26||Extension Management||4|
|DSC-C27||Extension Management Lab||3|
|DSC-C28||Early Childhood Education||4|
|DSC- C29||Early Childhood Education Lab||3|
|DSE-E2||(a)Event Management and Hospitality Services|
(b) Nutritional Biochemistry
|Vocational II||Food Microbiology & Food Safety Regulations||3|
|Students exiting the programme after 3-years will be awarded UG Degree, B. Sc. in Home Science upon securing 136 credits and satisfying the minimum credit requirements under each category of courses prescribed.|
Food and Nutrition
- Food Nutritionist in public health, schools, colleges, sports, paediatric, geriatric, maternity clinics and homes. Dietician in hospitals. Nutrition and Wellness Counsellors, Quality Control Supervisors in Food Industry, Food security officers in National and International Agencies, Food Safety supervisors in food service sectors, CDPO's and start-ups.
- Karnataka State Govt. - Department of Women and Children and Department of Social Welfare - all allied posts of the Dept. from gazetted to SDC (H.Sc. students are eligible), Early Childhood Curriculum planner, NGO’s - National & International, Child or Family Development Specialist, Parent Educator, Child Welfare Worker, Preschool Teacher, Counsellor - Child, Youth & Family, Trainer, Special Educator, Research Associates, Start-ups.
- Entrepreneurs, Graphic Designer, Interior Designer, Colour Advisor, Ergonomist, Brand manager for consumer products, HR and Hotel Administrator, Specialist in floriculture and landscape, Executives in hospitality industry, Digital marketing expert, Marketing manager, Research and Development in interior space design, ergonomics, consumerism, marketing and non-conventional energy and sustainable development.
Textiles and Clothing
- Quality Control officer, Freelance Textile Artist, Fabric Resource Manager, Design Consultant, Fashion Designer, Stylist, Illustrator, Merchandiser, Fashion Journalist, Sketching Assistant, Textile Designer, Interior Furnishings Designer, Fabric Analyser, Knit – Wear Designers, Research in Textile and Entrepreneurs.
- Extension Officer, Karnataka State Govt. - Department of Women and Children and Department of Social Welfare - all allied posts of the Dept. from gazetted to SDC (H.Sc. students are eligible), NGO’s, Communication Technologist, Trainers, Field Officers, Social Entrepreneurs, CSR Managers and Research Associates.