Students undertaking the B.Sc. Composite programs in Home Science at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore the technicalities of the field. The program is designed by reputed professors to foster a culture wherein students’ talent and creativity are enhanced and amplified with technical training and guidance.
The department harmoniously blends the disciplines of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Development, Resource Management, Textiles and Clothing, and Extension Education to foster the empowerment of young women. Our related laboratories are specially designed towards enforcing an empirical approach to learning. Internships are woven into the curriculum. Students are also encouraged towards innovative research to enhance the quality of family, community, and industry through scientific interventions.
On acquiring in-depth knowledge about the field and learning the qualitative and quantitative techniques, along with co-curricular activities, Graduates of this degree will be able to demonstrate their skills in the areas of Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Development, Resource Management, Textiles, and Clothing and Extension Education.
The department is associated with the Department of Agriculture, the Government of Karnataka, and the Karnataka Nutrition Mission. “Mritika” is further an extension food outlet of the department engaged in spreading awareness on the health benefits of millets through the sale of freshly prepared food including ‘meal in a bowl’ salads.
Other highlights and benefits:
- Meets the criteria of Choice Based Credit System which enables students to choose papers of their interest
- Helps students to prepare for higher education both in India and abroad
- Students become eligible to take up qualifying exams conducted by UGC- NET/ SLET
- Serves as a base to enter allied fields and courses like Banking, Design, Education, MBA, Public Health, Applied Psychology, etc
Head of Department
Dr. A. Sundaravalli
Major. Dr. Shantha Maria
To provide a humanized process of education based on the amalgamation of science, technology and humanities contributing towards an improved quality of life.
- To sensitize the learner towards individual needs and group needs of family and society
- To empower the learner with the knowledge to build a healthy social environment
- To enable them to identify professional and entrepreneurial opportunities in Home Science
Testing and EvaluationThe performance of the student will be assessed throughout the semester. Evaluations will be based on end-semester examinations and continuous internal assessment (CIA).
|Semester I||Basics of Textile Technology|
|Introduction to Extension Education|
|Semester II||Basics of Psychology|
|Essentials of Physiology & Microbiology|
|Introduction to Resource Management|
|Semester III||Human Development 1|
|Basics of Design Applications|
|Semester IV||Applied Textiles, Design and Finishes|
|Communication and Extension|
|Semester V||Food Service and Hospitality Management|
|Early Childhood Education|
|Housing and Finishes|
|Apparel Making – I|
|NGO Management and Social Welfare|
|Research Methods and Documentation|
|Personal Finance and Consumer Studies|
|Apparel Making – II|
|Programme Planning and Project Management|
|Human Development II / Biochemistry|
2017 - 2018
- Organics Millets- National Trade Fair Conference conducted on 29th and 30th April 2017 along with a Millet Cookery Competition – the event was organised by the Department of Agriculture, Government of Karnataka.
- Millets workshop – one-day workshop conducted on Millets for Nutritionists on 25th April, 2017 – in association with Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Karnataka and Indian Dietetic Association, Bangalore Chapter and Nutrition Society of India.
- The organising committee of Organics & Millets International Trade Fair 2018, Department of Agriculture, Govt. Of Karnataka organised two events from 19th to 21st January, 2018.
- Inter collegiate short video making competition
- Millet cooked product display challenge
2015 - 2016
- Workshop on Nutri-genomics on 10th and 11th July, 2015.