The Department of Communication Studies consists of 4 full time and 2 part-time faculty. In addition to this, the Dept. also consists of a host of guest faculty. Both in-house faculty and external experts come with varied industry experience and with several years of academic/teaching experience as well.
In appreciation of the growing popularity of Communication Studies and the distinct definition, it was decided in November 2000, to have a separate department distinct from the parent department of English. The Department of Communication Studies, however, continues to be answerable to the Department of English in the university.
- To generate strategies of creative expression, creative thought, and pursuit of knowledge.
- The department works towards creating skilled creative media professionals with the ability to think critically and pursue ethical action.
Head of the Department
Ms. Sharon Lopez M.A., M.Phil., NET, PGDCRL
Email : email@example.com
Single Discipline Program
Dual Discipline Program
2022 - 23
- Conducted Discourses '22: On the Politics of Documentary Filmmaking, a two-day national academic conference (21st & 22nd October, 2022).
- Jugalbandi '22: a week-long celebration of Indian Dance (September 2022).
- Draw Until You Disappear: an exhibition of art, writing, and instructions (November 2022).
- Hosted a zine-making Workshop conducted by (an inter-collegiate workshop) (February 17, 2023).
- Hosted ‘Famous Beyond Words’, an exhibition and lecture by Prof. BN Balajee (in collaboration with the Dept. of English) (August 18th 2022).
- Distribution of the "Happy Book", a teaching tool made by the Department as part of the ISRC, to the children of the Sevashrama (March 18, 2023).
- Screenings '23 – screenings of films made by graduating students of Communication Studies (April 2023).
- Documentation and development of communication material for visitors of Jakkur Lake and the general public, done in collaboration with the NGO Jalaposhan (Jan-April 2023).
2021 - 22
- The Department of Communication Studies hosted ‘Discourses’21: On the Politics of Protest Expressions’, a two-day virtual event that was held on Zoom and consisted of panel discussions on Day 1 and paper presentations on Day 2. (20th and 21st September 2021).
- The Department of Communication Studies celebrated the release of the book Mahasena written by our professor, Kala Krishnan (October 22, 2021).
- The Department of Communication Studies hosted the Jugalbandi Series which is an annual festival of classical and folk dances. This year it was held in collaboration with the Indian Council of Cultural Relations. (November 2021).
- ‘Love Me In A Hurry’, a Bilingual Poetry Reading and Conversation with Mani Rao and Pratibha Nandakumar’ on October 15th, 2022.
2020 - 21
- Organized ‘Nrityabol – Conversations on Dance’ (8th-18th July, 2020).
- Differences in Hindustani and Classical Music – Guest Lecture by GurupriyaAtreya (8th July, 2020).
- Concepts of Hindustani Music – Guest Lecture by Chandrima Sanyal Dutta (10th-17th July, 2020).
- Journey in Music – Guest Lecture by Sandeep Das (18th July, 2020).
- Working of a Radio Station – Guest Lecture by Ahalya Narayan and Nina Karun (18th July, 2020).
- History of Carnatic Music in Tamil Nadu – Guest Lecture by Balakrishnan Raghavan (21st July, 2020).
- Radio Plays – Guest Lecture by Mantra Mugdh (23rd July, 2020).
- Adaptations of Plays and Scripting – Guest Lecture by Atul Kumar (2nd August, 2020).
- Documentary Theater – Guest Lecture by Anuja Ghoshalkar (3rd August, 2020).
- Kavaad Katha – Guest Lecture by Akshay Gandhi (6th August,2020).
- Film & Theater – Guest Lecture by AkarshKhuranna (10th August, 2020).
- Working in the Production Industry – Guest Lecture by Aparajita Sahay (14th August, 2020).
- Weaves in India – Guest Lecture by Aanchal Sagar (8th–11th September, 2020).
- Basic Cinematography – Guest Lecture by Anjuli Sharma (9th to 11th September, 2020).
- Laxatives for the Soul: Dealing with Creative Block – Workshop by Khushnaz Lala (11th September, 2020).
- Relationship with Indian Crafts – Guest Lecture by AnjaleeWakankar (22nd September, 2020).
- Reviewing Dance – Guest Lecture by Joshua Muyiwa (25th September, 2020).
- Arts Management – Guest Lecture by Masoom Parmar (29th September, 2020).
- Museum Narratives – Guest Lecture by Akanksha Maglani (24th September–1st October, 2020).
- Interactive Storytelling and Writing for Video Games and Apps – Guest Lecture by Jugal Mody (29th September, 15th October and 24th October, 2020).
- Online Journalism – Guest Lecture by Faye D’Souza (4th-18th January, 2021).
- Rural Journalism – Guest Lecture by Pooja Pande and KavitaBundelkhandi from Khabar Lahariya(21st January, 2021).
- The Grindmill Songs Project – Guest Lecture by Namita Waikar (6th February, 2021).
- Organized CommE-Live (5th and 6th March, 2021).
- News Gathering and Reporting – Guest Lecture by Tanu Kulkarni, Education and Health Reporter, Hindu. [3rd and 10th Feb 2021].
- Launched Community, the Department’s alumni network (February 2021).
2019 - 20
- Panel discussion titled Understanding CAA, on Jan 25, 2020.
- Jugalbandi Series- celebrating the similarities and differences between Indian Folk and Classical Dances (Aug 2019).
- Writing Workshop by C.K. Meena (31/8/2019).
- Theatre Workshop by Lekha Naidu (31/8/2019).
- Workshop on Voice and Public Speaking by Anuj Gurwara (31/8/2019).
- Screenings – Film and Documentary screenings – (29/02/2020).
- MoU Signed with Mirador Creative Services LLP in November 2019.
- Award winning poets/authors are an integral part of the faculty.
- Faculty-industry connect is strong.
- Faculty and students present regularly at international and national conferences.
- Student employability is high and has not faced a dip even during the pandemic.
- Student placements in CISCO, Goldmann Sacs, Timbre Media, MOSIP, media houses across the country, publishing houses etc.
- MOUs and ongoing engagements with organizations such as: JSA Advocates and Solicitors, Nordson India Pvt. Ltd, Litcht School of Photography, Advaya Shaale, Maraa- arts and media collective, Richard Andrew Dudley, to name a few.
- The department manages and runs Radio-Carmelive- the Mount Carmel Radio Club.
- The department hosts a student run website: https://www.communicationsmccblr.com/
Ms. Sharon Lopez
HOD & Assistant Professor
Ms. Sahana Das
Mr. Nithin Manayath
Ms. Kala Ramesh
Ms. Manjula Bhat