Composite Home Science
The Department of Home Science was started in the year 1960. It completed 60 long years and now celebrates its Diamond Jubilee. Home Science course is a value-based process of education that amalgamates Science, Technology and Humanities to enhance the quality of life of women and society. The department harmoniously blends different disciplines to foster and empower young women. In alignment with the vision of MCC, the department aims to empower our students through the three year graduation journey.
Department of Home Science started in the year 1960.
Empowerment of women through skill development and community oriented education
- To sensitize the learner towards individual needs and group needs of family and society.
- To empower the learner with knowledge to build a healthy social environment.
- To enable them to identify professional and entrepreneurial opportunities in Home Science.
Head of the Department
Dr. A. Sundaravalli, Associate Prof., M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact : 9739945882
Single Discipline Program
2015 – 2016
- Workshop on Nutri-genomics on 10th and 11th July, 2015.
- “Mritika” an outlet to sell millet products was inaugurated by Mr. Krishna Byre Gowda, Minister of Agriculture, and Government of Karnataka on December 15th, 2016 on Science Day.
2017 – 2018
- Organics Millets- National Trade Fair Conference conducted on 29th and 30th April 2017 along with a Millet Cookery Competition – the event was organised by the Department of Agriculture, Government of Karnataka.
- Millets workshop – one-day workshop conducted on Millets for Nutritionists on 25th April, 2017 – in association with Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Karnataka and Indian Dietetic Association, Bangalore Chapter and Nutrition Society of India.
- The organising committee of Organics & Millets International Trade Fair 2018, Department of Agriculture, Govt. Of Karnataka organised two events from 19th to 21st January, 2018.
i) Inter collegiate short video making competition
ii)Millet cooked product display challenge
- Workshop conducted by Department of Home Science in association with NSI, Bangalore chapter on January 10th, 2017 at Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru.
Speaker: Dr. A .J. Hemamalini, (Professor and Head. Department of Clinical Nutrition, Sri Ramachandran University, Chennai.
- Department of Home Science in collaboration with IDM department on 3/3/2017 at GJB auditorium, Mount Carmel College, Bangalore.
Speaker: AR. Sathya prakash Varanasi, Architect
- Workshop on Magic with hands Conducted on March 11th 2017.
- Departments of Home Science and Nutrition & Dietetics, Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru, in association with Nutrition Society of India, Bangalore Chapter Celebrated National Nutrition Week 2016 based on theme: Life Cycle Approach for Better Nutrition by organizing a Symposium on 1/9/2017 at Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru.
- A Nutritional Awareness Program / Seminar on ‘21st Century Challenges for Food and Nutrition Sector’ was conducted by Department of Home Science and Nutrition & Dietetics Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru, in association with PFNDAI(Protein Foods and Nutrition Development Association of India) on 25th November 2017 at Mount Carmel College campus.
- International Trade Fair on Organics and Millets took place on 19th, 20th and 21st of January, 2018.
- Inter Departmental workshop conducted on 05.08.2018 by Department of Home Science and Department of Statistics.
- National Education Program
Nutrition Education of CDPOs, Organised by Food and nutrition Board, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India and Department of Home Science, Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru on 03.09.2018.
- Cake Workshop
Baking workshop Conducted by Department of Home Science and Academy of Pastry Arts on 08.12.2018.
2019 – 2020
- Chocolate-making workshop
Resource Person: Dr. Sapna Dinesh, Dept. of Home Science, Mount Carmel College
Date and Venue: July on 19th July, 2019, Nutrition lab, ground floor, Antoinette Block, Mount Carmel College.
- Basics of Excel Workshop
Department of Home Science in association with Department of Statistics & Analytics conducted 2 day workshop on basics of excel for students of Home science on 23 & 24th August 2019 in statistics lab.
- Awareness on Nutrition, Sanitation & Hygiene
Conduced on November 12th 2019 by the Department of Home Science for the students of Mount Carmel Central School.
- Maggie Magic in Minutes
Conducted on December 12th, 2019 which was hosted by celebrity chef Ripu Dammam Hands.
- Workshop on Organo-Nutri-greens
Topic: Micro Green Cultivation and vermicomposting. Event was conducted on 11th January 2020.
Resource Person’s: Ms. Sowmya Mahesh (Department of Environmental Science) and Dr. Gayathri Devi.
- Baking Workshop
Cake Workshop for B.Sc. Home Science students conducted by Academy of Pastry Arts on 25.01.2020 at Mount Carmel.
- VIVIDH 2020
Home Science Fest as part of Diamond Jubilee Celebration was celebrated on 28th February, 2020.
- Home Science Association
Science fest was celebrated on 23rd August 2019 in Mount Carmel College.
Major Dr. Shantha Maria B V
Dean & Associate Professor
Dr. Sundaravalli A
HOD & Associate Professor
Ms. Dorothy Anthony
Dr. Lakshmi Jithendran
Ms. Michelle Vaz
Dr. Sapna Dinesh
Ms. Swathi R