The Department of Home Science was started in the year 1960. It completed 60 long years and now celebrates its Diamond Jubilee. Home Science course is a value-based process of education that amalgamates Science, Technology and Humanities to enhance the quality of life of women and society. The department harmoniously blends different disciplines to foster and empower young women. In alignment with the vision of MCC, the department aims to empower our students through the three year graduation journey.
Department of Home Science started in the year 1960.
Empowerment of women through skill development and community oriented education
- To sensitize the learner towards individual needs and group needs of family and society.
- To empower the learner with knowledge to build a healthy social environment.
- To enable them to identify professional and entrepreneurial opportunities in Home Science.
Head of the Department
Ms. Dorothy Anthony, Associate Professor., M.Sc., M.Phil., IGDCS.
Email : email@example.com
Contact : 9611344998
Single Discipline Program
2023 – 24
- Department of Home Science Students of Final year visited to Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics Department of Aster CMI Hospital on 06/10/2023.
- The department of Home Science organized and conducted a workshop “Idea-Thon” on 27th September 2023. This was a fit and fun challenge – An initiative by the Nourishing Schools foundation to foster innovation and wellness and was open to students of Composite Home Science. Their creative contributions can make a lasting impact on health and wellness. The Themes were based on three concepts: – 1. Clean cooking with LPG 2. Climate friendly diets. 3. Cultivating active lifestyles.
- The department of Home Science students of first year conducted CDP activity with the government school children at sanjaynagar on 21st September 2023 at 10.00 am to 2.00 pm as a part of Extension Education and Communication stream to improve the knowledge and skills of students regarding best out of waste, self-defense techniques, women empowerment, violence against women, women laws, importance of education through lecture, skit, demonstration and dance.
- Millets on my plate a panel discussion was organised by the department of agriculture, GOK in association with Department of Home science on 12.01.23 at Radisson Blu Atria, Bengaluru a pre event to Millets and Organics International Trade fair 2023.
- Market day was held on 14/03/2023 organized by department of home science. The aim of our market day event was to promote awareness about millets and organic products. Our objective was to sensitise our staff and students to consume more of healthy products for a better and healthy living.
- The Home Science Association was also very active in all the fests that the college organised, starting with Reel Roadies for Freshers Day, a two round quiz game for Academicia, Out of Sight Out of Mind, a Euphoria inspired make up event for Cul-Week, and Skip a Blink, an event that challenged participants to create outfits out of scrap items that could be won by answering questions for Cul-Ah.
- Art and craft training program for school children from 5th to 8th std at Govt School in sanjay nagar. The objective is to create awareness and sensitize students to learn various craft activities. Through these sessions our intention was to empower school children to build on their skills and abilities.
- A visit was organized by the department for all three-year students to wonder blue denim exporting industry and kasturi coconut processing unit. The visit was very fruitful, and the students learnt a lot of new things. It helped the students to understand food processing and apparel making subjects better.
- A workshop on “Aari Embroidery” was held on 13-18th February 2023 by department of Home Science, KVIC (Khadi and Village Industries Commission) and MCC IEE to up skill the students of FAD and home science in learning the Aari embroidery.
- A fashion show was held “Eterno Fashion Walk” on 29th march 2023 by the department and 2nd year home science students participated in it, taking inspiration from traditional textiles of India. The jury members were Dr Shoba.G from Maharani’s cluster University and Ms. Anncee Stephens from Department of FAD, MCC. They highly appreciated the students creativity.
- An Interactive play based session on “Developing Socio-Emotional Quotient in Emerging Adults” was held on 23 March 2023 for students of 2nd Year Home Science. These are essential skills for professional and personal development.
- A workshop on “Intrapersonal and Interpersonal Dynamics” conducted on 28th March 2023 by Arathi Ruben, Program Director, India, Mind forward Alliance. Final year students were taken on a journey from self to the Ecological system to which one belongs through the carefully crafted activities and games.
- Final year Home Science students were taken to the Mediation Centre of the Family Court on the 27th of March 2023. Advocate Subbana Prasad shared about Mediation as a strategy to address strengthening and preserving families. Students also observed real life mediation sessions with couples.’
2022 – 23
- Home science students attended a Pastry Making workshop in Academy of Pastry & Culinary Arts, Bangalore on 20th August 2022.
- Art and craft training program for school children from 7th to 9th std at Govt School in sanjay nagar. The objective is to create education on the importance of using the available resources and make best out of waste from waste textile materials and upcycling of materials. Through these sessions students were empowered to improve on their skills and abilities.
2021 – 22
- Home science department in association with Khadi Village Industries Co-corporation has conducted a workshop on Fruit and Vegetable Preservation for the students from 12th December to 14th December 2022.
2020 – 21
- The third year Home sciences students put up a consumer exhibition at the amphitheatre; all their products were handmade and organic. Few of them were apart of inaugural dance and flash mob.
- A workshop was held by the department between February 15th to March 15th on “Portfolio Making” – resource person – Ms. Ancee Stephens from department of FAD, MCC. This workshop helped students in understanding the concept of portfolio making, fashion show and designing.
2019 – 20
- Chocolate-making workshop
Resource Person: Dr. Sapna Dinesh, Dept. of Home Science, Mount Carmel College
Date and Venue: July on 19th July 2019, Nutrition lab, ground floor, Antoinette Block, Mount Carmel College.
- Basics of Excel Workshop
Department of Home Science in association with Department of Statistics & Analytics conducted 2-day workshop on basics of excel for students of Home science on 23 & 24th August 2019 in statistics lab.
- Awareness on Nutrition, Sanitation & Hygiene
Conduced on November 12th 2019 by the Department of Home Science for the students of Mount Carmel Central School.
- Maggie Magic in Minutes
Conducted on December 12th, 2019 which was hosted by celebrity chef Ripu Dammam Hands.
- Workshop on Organo-Nutri-greens
Topic: Micro Green Cultivation and vermicomposting. Event was conducted on 11th January 2020.
Resource Person’s: Ms. Sowmya Mahesh (Department of Environmental Science) and Dr. Gayathri Devi.
- Baking Workshop
Cake Workshop for B.Sc. Home Science students conducted by Academy of Pastry Arts on 25.01.2020 at Mount Carmel.
- VIVIDH 2020
Home Science Fest as part of Diamond Jubilee Celebration was celebrated on 28th February, 2020.
- Home Science Association
Science fest was celebrated on 23rd August 2019 in Mount Carmel College.
2018 – 19
- The organising committee of Organics & Millets International Trade Fair 2018, Department of Agriculture, Govt. Of Karnataka organised two events from 19th to 21st January, 2018.
i) Inter collegiate short video making competition
ii)Millet cooked product display challenge
- International Trade Fair on Organics and Millets took place on 19th, 20th and 21st of January, 2018.
- Inter Departmental workshop conducted on 05.08.2018 by Department of Home Science and Department of Statistics.
- National Education Program
Nutrition Education of CDPOs, Organised by Food and nutrition Board, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India and Department of Home Science, Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru on 03.09.2018.
- Cake Workshop
Baking workshop Conducted by Department of Home Science and Academy of Pastry Arts on 08.12.2018.
- Dept of Home Science from 2017 till date has been working with the dept of agriculture, Govt of Karnataka in organising event (panel discussion, recipe contest challenge) for national trade fair and international trade fair in organics and millets(this is an on-going annual event).
- Mritika - since 2016 is the extension counter of the department of Home Science where there is sale of millets and millet products considered to be our department’s best practice on campus. Through this counter freshly prepared healthy foods made from millets are sold at the outlet.
- Department of Home Science did consultancy for KMF Bengaluru to organise a recipe demonstration with Nandini cheese to the KMF Nandini dealers.
- As part of the subject consumer behaviour and marketing management students are encouraged to make their own products from the scratch keeping in mind the pricing aspects, logo and design moulding them to develop into better entrepreneurs for the near future.
- Fashion Shows are organised for second and final year Home Science students, Portfolio is created and based on their inspiration they make garments for fashion show.
- Market day has been a wonderful experience for the students of Home Science each year from planning to execution with respect to extension education towards CDP activity. Through this platform Millets and other organic products are sold directly from the farmers and SHGs to the buyers on campus by promoting healthy lifestyle and better living conditions.
Dr. Sundaravalli A
Dean & Associate Professor
Ms. Dorothy Anthony
HOD & Assistant Professor
Dr. Sapna Dinesh
Ms. Swathi R