Students undertaking the Ph.D. program in Economics at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore and conduct ground-breaking research in the field. By putting in a conscious effort to impart proficient guidance on the scholar’s subject of interest, the program is construed to foster a culture of research and enhance said scholar’s prowess. Through rigorous panel discussions, our scholars are encouraged to put their skills to use and venture into the field of Economics by nuancing their research skills, staying up to date with the episteme, publishing in recognized journals, and creating a thorough dissertation of the utmost quality. Through our program, we hope to mould the leaders of tomorrow who will not merely bring in new insights in the field but continue to generate interest in the field and carry it forward.
A noteworthy faculty member spearheading the program is:
Name: Dr. Suma Singh (M.A., PGD in Mgt & Mkt, Ph.D., NET)
Contact No: 9481655427
University: Bengaluru Central University
2018 – 2019
- Celebrating 70 years of the Department- 6th and 7th July 2018: An intra-collegiate pick and speak competition and an event on Eco Act- enactment of Macroeconomic issues.
- Economics Day- Ideas for transforming India- 27th August 2018: A guest lecture by Mr. Jayesh Chakravarthi and Mr. Kshitij Urs, followed by a panel discussion on subsidies and an intra-collegiate quiz.
- A guest lecture on Business Analytics by Professor Patrick -September 17th, 2018 from University of California, Riverside
- An intra-collegiate economics event conducted for Cul-Week and an inter-collegiate economics dumb charades and Pictionary event conducted for Cul-Ah 2018.
- A guest lecture on Behavioural Economics by Professor Shagatha Mukherjee from Meghnad Desai Academy of Economics on 26th November, 2018.
2017 – 2018
- A workshop on Voter Registration Awareness was conducted in association with Namma Bengaluru Foundation on 27th November. The event started with panel discussion consisting of:
- One day Seminar on Vision 2025: Karnataka, Unraveling the Challenges and Prospects: in association with Dialogue on 24th January.
- Talk by Chief Guest: Smt. Renuka Chidambaram, IAS Officer, (Principal Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises, Government of Karnataka)
2016 – 2017
- International Conference TEJ 2017 on “ASIA’S TOURISM POTENTIAL – PATH TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT”.
2015 – 2016
- UGC Sponsored Two Day National Seminar on “Dynamics of Social Infrastructure in India – Emerging Issues, Prospects and Challenges” – 23rd & 24th February, 2016.
- Workshop on “Transforming India: Challenges and opportunities” on 8th January, 2016.
2014 – 2015
- Organised “Y2B-an entrepreneur workshop” in association with A.I.E.S.E.C.
- Organised a workshop on “team building” in association with Azim Premji Foundation.
- UGC funded two – day workshop, organised by PG Dept. of Economics and Life Science “Introductory Data Analytics” on 29th and 30th September, 2014.
- Two-Day UGC Sponsored Seminar on “Impact of Two Decades of Economic Reforms” on 17th and 18th September 2013.
- Two-day Workshop on 11th & 12th March, 2014 on “Building Statistical Models using SPSS”.
- One-day State Level Seminar of Empowerment of Women, “Shakti” on 17th February, 2014.