The Department of Economics, Mount Carmel College established in 1948 is at the threshold of her 75th year along with the post-independent Economy and Institution, celebrating Platinum Jubilee offers both UG and PG programmes. The prime objective of the department is to give a sound foundation in economic theory and applications, which would enable the students to apply the knowledge to study real world economic problems. The Department aims to facilitate and equip students to be future agents of change in spaces of research, policy making, analysis, advisory, consultancy services and much more. The Department offers 6 combinations under BA non-NEP (HEP, HES, PEJ, PYES, PYEE, PES) and EMS under B.Sc. Under NEP, from 2021 onwards the Dept. offers Dual Discipline Honours Programme and under BA and BSc. and from 2022 we offer BA Economics Honours Programme.
Under Post Graduate Studies, the Department offers Masters in Economics and Public Policy from 2005 and 2016 respectively. The Department is also a recognised Research Centre under Bengaluru City University, offering Ph.D. programme. Apart from imparting academic knowledge the Department also actively engages in organizing discussions and talks by eminent experts in the most recent issues relating to the subject thereby encouraging the students to be well aware of the happenings around the world. The Department also encourages students to pursue higher education in the subject and helps them to build promising careers in India and abroad.
Head of the Department
Dr. S Vijaya priya M.A., M.Phil., NET & SLET, Ph.D.
Email : email@example.com
The vision of the department is to provide our students with a strong academic foundation in economic theory and encourage them to apply their knowledge to analyze economic issues and policies.
- To be a Centre of Excellence by training students in economic applications.
- To update knowledge and skills in information/communication technology for more effective teaching, learning, and research.
- To promote vibrant economic and social science research.
- To keep up with changes and improve course sequencing.
- Enhance collaborations & Industry-Interface.
- Involvement of students by providing opportunities for the development of leadership skills through activities/programs.
Single Major Program
- B.A - Economics
Dual Major Program
- B.A - Political Science, Economics
- B.A - Psychology, Economics
- M.A in Economics
- Economics (Affiliate to Bengaluru Central University)
- 2005-06 - Post Graduate Course in Economics
- 2016-17 - Department - recognised as Research Centre - BU & BCU 2020-21
- 2016-17 - Post Graduate Course in Public Policy
- 2022-23 - Honours in Economics (single discipline) - under NEP
- Dr Suma Singh completed an ICSSR sponsored Major Research Project “Prejudices & Prejudices: Witch Hunting during Covid-19 Pandemic”, 2021.
- 14 Research Projects – UGC & Management Funded – including completed and on-going – by the Faculty of the Department.
- Dr. Shanthi Srinivasan was awarded with 'Outstanding Thought Leader’ award by CIMSME (Confederation of Indian Micro Small and Medium Enterprises) @ #Brand 10000SMEs Awards on 24th September 2022.
- Ms. Shweta Sharma won the ‘Best Paper Award’ for the Papers.
- “Effectiveness of Online Education – Teacher’s Perspective” at the conference held at Amity University in March 29th and 30th, 2022.
- “Exploration of factors affecting the level of satisfaction of employees during telecommunicating” at the 105th annual conference of Indian Economic Association held on Dec 27 -29th December, 2022.
- Students have won Young Economist Award, at Altius, organised by Christ University – for many years.
- Student-led Academic Activities through Artha… Our Department Association organises inter-class and inter-collegiate competitions – at regular intervals.
- MELA – Mount Carmel Economics Learners Association – which engages faculty and students in discussions on recent economic issues / concerns.
- Many of our PG students have qualified in UGC – NET / KSET – during their course work.
MOU with Citi Group for Internship and Placement (PG Students).
Projects undertaken from 2019-20 to date
- Dr Suma Singh - ICSSR Project “Prejudices & Prejudices: Witch Hunting during Covid-19 Pandemic”, 2021.
Management Funded Projects.
Major Research Project, 2020-21
- Dr Suma Singh and Dr. Kavya Shree K: ‘An Assessment of the Impact of Pandemic on COVID Warriors’
- Ms. Tania Mukherjee: COVID-19 and impact assessment on Educated migrant and non-migrant women of Bengaluru – A Comparative Study.
Minor Research Projects, 2019-20
- Ms. Shweta Sharma and Dr. Suma Singh: ‘Impact of Migration on the Happiness of Migrants, their families and Host Cities’.
- Dr. Anjana Mani and Dr. Vijaya Priya S: ‘Economic Growth in India – with special reference to Ease of Doing Business’
Research Centre Status
- The Department got its Research Centre Status in 2016-17 under BU and subsequently under BCU. The Department got its extension in 2021-22 and three more faculty are recognized as Research Supervisors – Dr. Anjana Mani, Dr. Shanthi. S. and Dr. Vijaya Priya. S. Recognised Supervisor - Dr. Suma Singh.
- Ms. Radhamma C – ‘Socio-economic conditions of Female Workers in Garment Industry – A Case Study of Bengaluru City’
- Ms. Shweta Sharma – ‘Impact of Migration on well-being of Migrants and Host City: A Case study of Urban Bengaluru’.
- Ms. Shweta M K – ‘Impact of Digital Finance on Financial Inclusion: A Case Study of the Unorganised Working Women in Bengaluru City’.
Under BU (registered in 2016-17)
- Ms. Deepmala Yadav – ‘An Analysis of Govt. and Family Expenditure under Right to Education: A Case study of Chickaballapura District’ (submitted Thesis).
- Mr. Gopal Sekhar - ‘Economics of Primary Healthcare Delivery: A Case Study of Attapaddy’.
Research & Societal Relevance
- 2 of the Projects undertaken – is COVID related – Migrant workers and Covid Warriors.
- On Nutritional status of children (as stunting & malnutrition are perennial problems faced).
- Participatory Democracy Fellowship in association with Janaagraha.
- Part of CDP (2021-22) along with People’s Corp – engaged in a survey of infrastructure in BBMP schools – report compilation submitted to Department of Education, Karnataka.
- As part of CDP – PG students of Economics undertook survey on Solid Waste Management in collaboration with BBMP and C-MAK.
- Financial Literacy Campaigns undertaken as part of CDP.
- The Participatory Democratic Fellowship (PDF) is a novel innovative programme initiated by the Department of Public Policy, in association with B.Pac and Janaagraha. Through this fellowship, the students of M.A. Public Policy get an in-depth knowledge of civic issues, understand the importance of citizen engagement and participation in local governance. Students work closely with the People’s Representative (Corporators) for 150 hours to understand administrative decision-making process at the ward level. They acquire hands on experience and exposure to field-work in public policy discipline. The fellowship has set the foundation for public policy students to build a strong analytical skill set and also nurtures and creates instinctual and reactive change makers.
- The Department of Public Policy, in association with Grassroots Research and Advocacy Movement (GRAAM), Mysore conducted “ Policy Bootcamp” – a unique five – day residential learning programme for students pursuing public policy. The aim of the Bootcamp was to give an understanding of policy and its implementation from grassroots perspectives. It helps students to broaden their horizons in terms of current policy implementation issues at the grassroots and gives them an opportunity to know the citizen’s perspective of the policy or a program at the community level. The Bootcamp is structured in alignment with the curriculum of MA in Public Policy for a period of 40 hours spread over a period of 5 days for III semester students. The curriculum encompasses 20 percent classroom sessions and 80 percent fieldwork.
Dr. Suma Singh
Dean & Associate Professor
Dr. Vijaya Priya S
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. Anjana Mani
Dr. K Kavyashree Kumar
Co-ordinator - M.A. & Associate Professor
Ms. Sunanda B V
Ms. Tania Mukhejee
Ms. Shweta Sharma
Dr. Roopa Adarsh
Dr. Rajesh Chandra
Dr. C J Lakshmi
Ms. Nachammai L
Dr. Meenakshi Kumari