The Department of Economics, Mount Carmel College established in 1948 is at the threshold of her 75th year along with the post-independent Economy and Institution, celebrating Platinum Jubilee offers both UG and PG programmes. The prime objective of the department is to give a sound foundation in economic theory and applications, which would enable the students to apply the knowledge to study real world economic problems. The Department aims to facilitate and equip students to be future agents of change in spaces of research, policy making, analysis, advisory, consultancy services and much more. The Department offers 6 combinations under BA non-NEP (HEP, HES, PEJ, PYES, PYEE, PES) and EMS under B.Sc. Under NEP, from 2021 onwards the Dept. offers Dual Discipline Honours Programme and under BA and BSc. and from 2022 we offer BA Economics Honours Programme.
Under Post Graduate Studies, the Department offers Masters in Economics and Public Policy from 2005 and 2016 respectively. The Department is also a recognised Research Centre under Bengaluru City University, offering Ph.D. programme. Apart from imparting academic knowledge the Department also actively engages in organizing discussions and talks by eminent experts in the most recent issues relating to the subject thereby encouraging the students to be well aware of the happenings around the world. The Department also encourages students to pursue higher education in the subject and helps them to build promising careers in India and abroad.
The vision of the department is to provide our students with a strong academic foundation in economic theory and encourage them to apply their knowledge to analyze economic issues and policies.
- To be a Centre of Excellence by training students in economic applications.
- To update knowledge and skills in information/communication technology for more effective teaching, learning, and research.
- To promote vibrant economic and social science research.
- To keep up with changes and improve course sequencing.
- Enhance collaborations & Industry-Interface.
- Involvement of students by providing opportunities for the development of leadership skills through activities/programs.
- 2005-06 - Post Graduate Course in Economics
- 2016-17 - Department - recognised as Research Centre - BU & BCU 2020-21
- 2016-17 - Post Graduate Course in Public Policy
- 2022-23 - Honours in Economics (single discipline) - under NEP
Head of the Department
Dr. S Vijaya priya M.A., M.Phil., NET & SLET, Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Single Major Program
Dual Major Program
2022 - 23
- Launch of Discussion Forum, M.E.L.A. Mount Carmel Learners Economics Association.
- Participatory Democracy Fellowship I in association with B.Pac done by MA Public Policy students.
- Panel Discussion on ‘Rupee at 80’ organized by MELA and ARTHA, 6th September 2022.
- Understanding safe and resilient Banking- a talk by Rama Subramanian Gandhi, ex RBI Deputy Governor, 27th October 2022.
- ‘Sustainable development goals of UN and the decade of action’ by Mr. Abhimanyu Manimaran, UNDP, 12th January 2023.
- Budget Analysis a panel discussion on 2nd February 2023.
- Two Day National Conference on ‘Economy@75: Roadmap for India at 100’ in collaboration with the Indian Economic Association on February 16th and 17th, 2023.
- Personal Income Tax- Understanding the Old & New regime by Mr. Anil Bharadwaj, 19th February 2023.
- Brand Marketing- a guest talk by Rishi Mukherjee, 11th March 2023.
- Discussion on GNH as part of International Day of Happiness by Ms. Shweta Sharma, 24th March 2023.
2021 - 22
- Her Money Talks – a talk by Ms. Manisha on Financial planning, 28th August 2021.
- Aeronomia - Intra collegiate event where the teams had to address an economic crisis , 14th September 2021.
- A Talk on National Monetisation Pipe line – a group discussion , 13th October 2021.
- ‘Covid induced Stagflation’- a guest lecture by Dr. . N.R. Banumurthy, VC Dr. B.R. Ambedkar School of Economics, Bengaluru.
- Sharing their Placement Experience - a session by PG alumnae 11th November 2021.
- Workshop on Introduction to SAS by Soumyajit Ghosh, 13th November 2021.
- Career opportunities for PG Economics students by Dr. Anima Chowdhury, 16th November 2021.
- Panchamrit and its implications CoP 26 – a talk by Shri Jhawahar IAS (retd) , 23rd November 2021.
- Webinar on ‘ Insights of Union Budget 2022- 23’ by Dr. Charan Singh (CEO EGROW) , 3rd February 2022.
2020 - 21
- “Covid 19: An Impact Assessment” a webinar hosted on 28th May, 2020.
- Debate on ‘National Education Policy 2020 - Battle of Opinions’, 28th August 2020.
- ‘Work-life with Even-Steven’ a webinar hosted on 13th January 2021.
- ‘Innovations in the Indian Financial Markets & Investing through Capital Markets’ a webinar by Mr. Glenn Roger Carr, Finmark, 25th January 2021.
- "Indian Economy through the lens of Union Budget 2021" with Dr. Rajat Verma and Dr. Sashi Sivramkrishna from NMIMS, 3rd February 2021.
- ‘EDUCATE, Boost to Blossom’ a talk by Ankita Karmakar, counselling consultant, 8th February, 2021.
- 2 day fest on ‘Pandemic changing the dynamics of International Relations.’ February, 2021.
2019 - 20
- Union Budget Analysis, 23rd July 2019.
- Career Counselling by IDP was organised on 8th August 2019.
- 55th A.D Shroff Memorial Elocution Contest was organised by the association on 26th August 2019.
- Department hosted a Two Day National Conference in collaboration with University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru 0n - “Sustainable Agriculture – Challenges and Strategies”, on 2nd 3rd, December, 2019.
2018 - 19
- To commemorate 70 years of the Department an intra-collegiate pick and speak competition and Eco Act- enactment of Macroeconomic issues event conducted, July 6th and 7th 2018.
- Ideas for Transforming India-: A guest lecture by Mr. Jayesh Chakravarthi and Mr. Kshitij Urs,, August 27th 2018.
- Launch of Pramartha, the Economics magazine commemorating 70 years of the Department, August 27th 2018.
- International Conference on Public Policy Affairs hosted on 3rd and 4th September, 2018.
- Business Analytics - a guest lecture by Professor Patrick, University of California, Riverside, September 17th, 2018.
- A guest lecture on Behavioural Economics by Professor Shagatha Mukherjee, Meghnad Desai Academy of Economics, November 26th, 2018.
- Department offers courses which builds strong theoretical foundation in Economics blended with skill based practical approach.
- Highly competent well qualified faculty with strong teaching and research experience.
- Recognized Research Centre with four Research Guides.
- Strong Alumnae community which are setting benchmarks in areas ranging from Banking & Finance to Academics, Media and Data Science.
Dr. Suma Singh
Dean & Associate Professor
Dr. Vijaya Priya S
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. Anjana Mani
Dr. K Kavyashree Kumar
Co-ordinator - M.A. & Associate Professor
Ms. Sunanda B V
Ms. Tania Mukhejee
Ms. Shweta Sharma
Dr. Roopa Adarsh
Dr. Rajesh Chandra
Dr. C J Lakshmi
Ms. Nachammai L
Dr. Meenakshi Kumari