Established in 1948, the Department has been setting a standard both within the college as well as in the larger city educational community regarding innovations in studying and teaching English. Mount Carmel’s Department of English is one of the earliest departments to introduce Literature as a subject in the undergraduate studies. It currently offers an undergraduate dual major in Literature with Psychology; a Master’s in English and will be inaugurating a research department from the coming academic year.
Year of Establishment : 1948
Create an atmosphere for academic excellence and foster a love for language and literature. Promote liberal education in students, thus empowering them as individuals.
- Equip students with communication skills in English.
- Strengthen their ability to analyse all forms of literary expression.
- Train students for higher education, careers and research.
- Empowerment of individuals through education.
- Foster creative thinking/ reasoning and global competencies among students.
Head of the Department
Ms. Sheryl Puthur M.A., NET
Email : email@example.com
Dual Major Program
The Literary Festival Apostrophe has been successfully running from 2014 onwards. It continued during the pandemic in the online mode. From 2020, the Department has been awarding the Arushi Singh Memorial Rolling Trophy to the winning Literature class.
Launched in 2022, Meraki is the in-house Literary Showcase to share our students’ work; projects that the students created during the previous academic year are displayed and discussed with their peers. There is also an Open Mic session for students to share their ideas with the audience. The Annual LitWits Quiz, previously under Apostrophe, is a featured event.
The Academic Festival - Launched in 2023
A space for faculty, researchers and students to discuss current literary concerns.
- LECTURE SERIES
A two part event – one set of sessions run for faculty and are also open to students. It has been running since 2015. Functions as a faculty development programme. The other set of sessions are our Alumna speakers sharing their field experience and research with our literature student body. This was launched in 2023.
Writer’s Bloc is a student-run magazine within the Department. It was launched in 2018. The Department Blog – mad women in the attic – has been running from 2013 onwards. It is currently on a hiatus.
2017 – 2018
- UGC Sponsored Post-Graduate National Seminar on “Rethinking Contemporary India: A Dialogue Through Culture, Literature and Language”, 17th Jan, 2018.
- Workshop on “Concept, Colonialism and Cultural Difference” with Dr. Vivek Dhareshwar, 11th July, 2017.
- One-day State-level Seminar of Empowerment of Women, “Shakti” on 17th February, 2014.
Dr. Sr. Sajitha
Campus Co-ordinator & Associate Professor
Ms. Sheryl Puthur
HOD & Assistant Professor
Dr. I Vinitha Chandra
PG Co-ordinator & Assistant Professor
Ms. Mamata V Freeman
Dr. Aditi Chatterjee
Dr. Latha S
Dr. Sreevidya Surendran
Dr. Devapriya Sanyal
Dr. Koshy A V
Dr. Ashima Solanki Sona
Dr. Shaheen Ebrahimkutty A. V
Dr. Souvik Datta
Ms. Shri Vaishali
Ms. Harshita Urs
Ms. Rianka Sarkar
Ms . Nithya Rajesh
Dr. Priyanka Dutta
Dr. Payal Mukherjee