Four year integrated B.Sc.-B.Ed
For the first time, the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), which monitors teacher training, has granted permission to two colleges in Bengaluru to initiate a four-year integrated B.A.-B.Ed. and B.Sc.-B.Ed. programmes under Section 14(3) (a) of the NCTE Act.1993. Mount Carmel College, Autonomous is one of them. The programme is approved by NCTE and Government of Karnataka. It is further designed according to UGC and NCTE guidelines to maintain the quality of education imparted by students.
The programme is also, affiliated to Bengaluru Central University.
The course aims at integrating:
- General studies comprising Science and Education leading to the amalgamation of the program.
- Professional studies comprising the foundation of education, pedagogy of school subjects, practicum related to tasks and functions of the teacher.
- The program content maintains a balance between theory and practice, coherently integrating components of the program representing a wide knowledge-base required for a secondary school teacher.
The Integrated B.Ed. programme focuses on:
- Creating sensitivity about language diversity in classroom and its role in the teaching-learning process
- Developing an understanding in the context of education in contemporary Indian Society
- Appreciating the role of context and socio-political realities about learners in facilitating learning in inclusive settings
- Providing first-hand experience of all the school activities by engaging student-teachers as interns in secondary/senior secondary schools.
- Student-teachers to integrate and apply ICT in facilitating the teaching-learning process and in school management
- Systematizing experiences and strengthening the professional competencies of student and teachers
- Enabling student-teachers to acquire necessary competencies for organizing learning experiences
- Developing an understanding of paradigm shift in conceptualizing disciplinary knowledge in the school curriculum
- Identifying, challenging and overcoming gender inequalities in the school, classrooms, curricula, textbooks, social institutions, etc.
- Developing competencies among student-teachers to select and use appropriate assessment strategies for facilitating learning
- Engaging student-teachers with an understanding of the self, child, and school to establish close connections between different curricular areas
Why an integrated course?
- The integrated degree is equivalent to UG degree and Education degree (B.Ed.) together, just in four years, helping students to save a year. (Whereas, on its own, the B.Ed. degree is of two years)
- Students will be well groomed in general subjects and pedagogy
- Immediate employment opportunities
- Opens the doors to entrepreneurship
- A builder of civilized society
- Eligible to do Masters in disciplinary subjects
- Eligibility to do Masters in Education (M.Ed.)
- A four-year degree makes one eligible for pursuing higher education in International Universities (US universities require four-year undergraduate studies)
Number of seats:
Combinations offered for B.Sc.:
PCM-Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics
CBZ: Chemistry, Botany, Zoology
Language 1: General English
Language 2: Kannada or Hindi
Medium of Instruction:
The basic eligibility criteria for admission to these programmes is a pass in the Pre-University examination of Karnataka/ CBSE Senior Secondary examination/ or an equivalent examination with 60% marks.
Candidates applying for B.Sc.- B.Ed. programme must have studied all the three disciplinary subjects at the PUC /10+2 level.