Department of History was established in the year 1948. It is one of the oldest departments in the college. Sisters from CSST were the first set of professors who taught in the department. The Department has produced luminaries such as Nirupama Rao IFS and Professor Uma Chakravarti.
Vision & Mission
“To infuse students with independent and critical thought about the society through the narration of local and global histories. To emphasize the importance of history to better understand their present. To inculcate the sense of community through narratives of history to create a sustainable future.”
Head of the Department
Dr. Sujin Babu M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
Email : email@example.com
2022 - 23
- Mercantilism & Colonialism: A history of Economic thought perspective, a talk by Dr. Alex M Thomas, Assistant Professor, Azim Premji University, Bengaluru, 2nd September, 2022.
- Construction of Motherhood on Indian Screen, a talk by Dr. Bindu Menon Mannil, Associate Professor, Azim Premji University, Bengaluru, 2nd November, 2022.
- Life and Times of Rajaraja and the Cholas, a guest talk by Kamini Dandapani, 7th March, 2023.
- Heritage Walk in Bengaluru, 12th March, 2023.
- ‘A Right that could have been’ , a special talk by Dr. Srijan Sandip Mandal, Assistant Professor, NALSAR, Hyderabad, 21st March, 2023.
- Higher Education Prospects in Social Sciences, a Career Guidance Talk, 21st March, 2023.
- Turup , a movie Screening and discussion 10th April 2023.
2021 - 22
- Professional Culture- a talk by Dr. Vineeth Thomas, Department of History, CHRIST (Deemed to be University) on 5thOctober 2021.
- What next? An interaction with Mr. K. Prahalad, (Former Young India Fellow, Ashoka University), 2nd February 2022.
- Remnants of a Separation- a talk by Ms. Aanchal Malhotra, 30th April, 2022.
2020 - 21
- A life too short: Anandibai Joshee (1865-87): India’s first female physician - A talk by Prof. Ram Ramaswamy, Visiting Professor, IIT Delhi and Former Vice Chancellor, University of Hyderabad on 22nd August, 2020.
- Status of Women in Ancient India, a talk by Dr. Marilyn Gracey Augustine, Assistant Professor, Dept. of History, Madras Christian College, Chennai on 18th January, 2021.
- Race and Rivalry –Revisiting the Cold War Era- a talk by Dr. K. Ashok, Assistant Professor, Dept. of History, Madras Christian College, Chennai on 25th January, 2021.
- Throwing new lights on Globalization- A talk by Mr. Sanjeev Vasudevan, Research Scholar, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, Chennai on 15th March, 2021.
- History and Narrative: Framing the past in the present- In Conversation with Manu S Pillai, Author and Historian, on 22nd March, 2021.
2019 - 20
- Department of History along with the departments of Political Sciences and Sociology organized a National Symposium on ‘Voices of Indigenous Peoples‘ in association with Centre for Amenities, Rehabilitation and Education (CARE) on 21st January, 2020.
- Field trip for the students of II BA and III BA to Ikkeri, Sagara, Nagara Fort, Keladi and Kambadahalli.
2018 - 19
- Street play that captured the essence of the freedom struggles of the Indians, 23rd August, 2018.
- Heritage walk conducted by Samrudhi Sridharan, an anthropologis, on the colonial history of MG Road, 8th September 2018.
- “Medhas” Quiz on Indian art, culture, and heritage conducted by quizmaster Mr.Jonathan Darshan, 23rd January 2019.
- One of the oldest departments on campus which through the teaching of ‘local’ and ‘global’ histories, aims to infuse a historical sensibility that caters to a sustainable future.
- Department offers diverse and exciting courses covering multiple time-periods, regions and themes, and uses interdisciplinary approaches that engage students to think through sociological, political and economic perspectives.
- The department in addition to disciplinary texts, incorporates various methods to teach history, such as images, cinema and literature in the study of early India and post-colonial India.
- Well qualified dedicated staff who are committed to reignite passion among the student community for the subject.
Dr. Sujin Babu
HOD & Assistant Professor
Dr. Chanthu S
Ms. Theres Jois Pattery