The department of Human Development was founded in 2009, the department has been at the forefront of community support and community development since then. The most defining feature of Human Development is that it is interdisciplinary in nature. An interdisciplinary perspective to studying human development focuses primarily on the process of growth and development among individuals in the changing environment. Hence the faculty and the students of Department of Human Development at Mount Carmel college works with every section of the society across the life span. Our students here get a vast exposure of working with infants, children, adolescents, young adults, elderly, transgender, street children, people with special needs, criminals, human right defenders etc. This inter disciplinary nature makes it distinctively different from any developmental psychology and child development.
The Masters in Human Development was started in the year 2012 and since then the master’s program has become the most popular program among students across India. During the course period along with basic skills the students learn transferable skills, gain theoretical knowledge, gain application abilities, research skills and also learn to appreciate diversity
Alumni of our undergraduate and post graduate programs get into diverse set of careers in education, advocacy, non-profit work, health, Entrepreneurship, government settings and research with range of populations including infants, young children, adolescents, older adults, couples and families.
- To intra-personally and inter-personally grow and develop holistically.
- To adjust to the changing roles and responsibilities in society.
- To be tolerant, have integrated, happy and healthy families, societies, and nation.
- To provide students with an excellent program where they can observe, learn, and practice Human Development.
To provide an empowering education to students to affect and transform human lives and to contribute proactively, creatively, progressively, and humanely to improve life and standards of living.
- 2009- The department of Human Development was introduced under B.Sc NDCHD course.
- 2012- Post Graduate course in Human development.
- 2022- Dual major course HDND (Under NEP).
Head of the Department
Dr. Sujata Gupta Kedar, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dual Discipline Program
2020 - 21
- Think Tank Capacity Building Workshop in collaboration with Dept. of Human Development and Family Science, East Caroline University, Greenville. This workshop was a follow-up session to the talk given on "Child Life Services: Promoting Psychological Care for Children in Healthcare Settings" at the international conference on "INTERDISCIPLINARY SCOPE OF HUMAN DEVELOPMENT”. Dr. Priti P. Desai from East Caroline University, Greenville, and Dr. Sujata Gupta Kedar from Mount Carmel College, Bangalore were the facilitators for the workshop.
- Online campaign was conducted “HEAR FOR YOU” – RELENTLESS. It was a campaign calling people of all genders to come forward and talk about the issue of sexual abuse, their own experiences, how one can open up about it, how they overcame the stigma revolving sexual abuse.
- Workshop on data entry and analysis in MS excel and SPSS. The workshop was held primarily as a fundraising event for the purpose of educating young girls. The money collected was used as a scholarship fund. The workshop was attended by students and professionals.
- As part of Annual science week the department of Human Development organized a webinar on “STRENGTHENING FAMILY BONDS DURING COVID AND AFTER A 5”C” APPROACH”. The webinar focused on broad topics of family dynamics and parenting, making it a learning and interactive session for all the participants and the students of the department.
2022 – 23
- Mann Mantra, a one-day inter-collegiate competition on the occasion of Human Development Day on 4th Nov 2022. Students from various colleges participated in activities like:
-Role Play -Debate -Poetry -Poster Making -Face Painting -Photography.
- The department organized a street play on “bipolar disorder”- Mental Health Awareness Program. (30th September 2022).
- A sensitization programme for the elderly- Let’s Age in Reverse on 7th June 2022.
- The department conducted a workshop on “relationships with self for adolescents”.
- Workshops were conducted on “Self-identity formation”, “Reproductive Health”, “Importance of Academics” by the PG students of Human Development.
- Workshop on Data Analysis using Excel- by Dr. Nivedita Danammanavar on 8th and 9th June 2022.
- Exploring the journey of an ECCE centre- Jakkarradi foundation for education and life skills. – Dr. Arati S. Jakkarradi (21st January 2022).
- Pregnancy and child birth complications – Dr. Usha Rani N. (29th January 2022).
- Developmental Assessments using NBAS & Bayley Scales – Sonu Khosla (1st February 2022).
- The Educational tour from Mysore – Bandipur was scheduled from May 25th 2022 to May 28th 2022. The places covered consisted of All India Institute of Speech and Hearing (AIISH), Therapy Park.
2021 – 22
- International Conference on “Interdisciplinary scope of Human Development”, conducted on 15th and 16th February 2021.
- Think tank capacity building workshop was a follow-up session to the talk given on “child life services: promoting psychological care for children in healthcare settings” at the International Conference on “interdisciplinary scope of human Development on 26th July 2021.
- Life Skills- A workshop for better mental health was conducted by the department keeping in mind the current generation problems and needs related to self-awareness, interpersonal relationships, effective communication, stress and emotion management. 6th September 2021.
- The department of Human Development conducted a webinar on “Those days of the month”- webinar on Menstrual Health and Hygiene on 26th Aug 2021.
- Webinar on “Role of Funding organizations in child welfare”. This talk was conducted to describe the role of funding organization and how they help in bringing change in child welfare on 14th September 2021.
- The department organised a talk with experts on reproductive health and its importance on 27th Oct 2021.
- The department conducted a talk session on “strengthening Family bonds during covid and after, a 5 “C” approach on 28th Oct 2021.
2019 – 21
- The department of Human Development organised and celebrated the Human Development Day with the theme, “Women of today” on the 28th Aug 2019.
2018 – 19
- The PG students of the department conducted workshop with Adolescents.
- The department conducted a Street play on “domestic violence”.
- Rally conducted by the department - “Homemakers- the unrecognised profession”.
- Workshop on Parenting with parents of pre-schoolers.
- Gerontology workshop conducted on elderly – “Life after retirement”.
- Visit to NIPCCD- National Institute of public cooperation and child development.
- The department conducted a sign language workshop for undergraduate and post graduate students on 4th July 2018.
- Organized National & International seminars and Conferences.
- Faculty presentations in national and international conferences.
- Quality publications in national and international journals in various areas of Human Development.
- Student presentation in various conferences and journals.
- Skill enhancement by International faculty.
- Students Gained first hand experiential learning by working with communities across various sections of the society.
- Successfully completed volunteering program at Yashomati Hospital, Bangalore for operation smile.
- Students of MSc Human Development interned as Child life practitioners with various hospitals across India- Sion hospital Mumbai, Can kids Mumbai, Kem hospital Mumbai, Nair hospital Mumbai, IQ City hospital West Bengal, Can kids Delhi, Can kids shelter home Delhi, Safdarjung hospital Delhi, Kashiben Gordhandar Patel children hospital Gujarat.
- Students who have graduated are working as- Child life practitioners, counselors, early childhood educators, content developers, special educators, Entrepreneurs, change makers through NGO sectors, Research associates and assistants, HR managers at multinational companies
Dr. Sujata Gupta Kedar
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. Savitha L
Ms. Lingeswari Mysore
Dr. Srividya K
Ms. Jinal Ruparel
Ms. Shweta Anand Kumar