The Department of Journalism which was established in 1984 offers single major and dual major programmes. Backed by a team of highly qualified professors and experts from the industry, the department churns out students who are 100% industry ready. The department boosts of a well-equipped studio and computer lab which provide hands on training to the students. Many of our students are placed in leading media organisations of India.
Develop young minds and turn them into skilled professionals imbibed with the highest values.
- To combine theoretical inputs with practical training.
- Create challenges in situations and promote professional excellence.
- Reinforce values and promote integrity in interpretation and reporting of events.
Head of the Department
Dr. M K Vivitha M.Sc., NET., Ph.D.
Single Major Program
Dual Major Program
2022 - 23
- Wheel of Personalities”, 27th August 2022.
- “MCC Wants to Know” intercollegiate event, September 28th 2022 for the annual fest Academicia, on the theme “Vedastra”.
- “Breaking news or is it?”, 18th October 2022.
- Movie Screening - “The Stoning of Soraya” a Cyrus Nowrasteh Film, 21st November 2022.
- “MYOM-Make your own magazine” 24th January 2023.
- Talk on “Legal Journalism” by Leah Verghese, Lawyer &, Social Scientist, 17th March 2023.
2021 - 22
- Documentary Screening & Workshop on ‘The Spirit Circle’ for all students of MCC.
- The Royal Rota – Reimagine, Recreate or Reenact a royal portrait, an inter-collegiate competition.
- ‘That’s what they said’, a speech writing competition open for all students of MCC.
- ‘Drishtikon’ – the reel of life, a film screening event on the topic ‘Women in different facets of society’.
- ‘The F factor’ & ‘Anchor Pranker’ – inter-collegiate competition.
2020 - 21
- Journalism Afternoon- A talk with a journalist from The Valley – interactive session with Bhat Burhan, 17-10-2020.
- Open Discussion with Anand Patwardhan, noted film director 6/2/2021.
2019 - 20
- Engendered, a Bangalore based start-up working in the area of diversity and inclusion at the workspace conducted a workshop on how to approach job interviews, 25th July 2019.
- Mr Manu. S. Pillai acclaimed author of ‘The Ivory Throne’, ‘Rebel Sultans’ and the newly released ‘The Courtesan, the Mahatma and the Italian Brahmin’ spoke about his book and the process behind writing it. Mr Manu, a Sahitya Academy award winner. Interacted with students about his new book and in general about how history is distorted and the need-to-know history, 20th August 2019.
- Mr Ravi Ramaswamy of Centre for Community Change and Dialogue conducted an intense theatre workshop on using theatre as a form of communication- especially for issues of significance – societal and personal. His technique known as theatre of the oppressed is known to help the marginalised communities to express themselves. This workshop was held between Dec 2nd 2019–Jan 30th 2020.
- Workshop with Mr Bansy Kallapa, Political Editor of The New Indian Express spoke to the final year students of HJTT, PEJ and PYEJ on the basics of broadcast journalism- reporting and presenting on camera, 28th November 2019.
2018 - 19
- Film screening Namma Gauri and panel discussion on Violence against Women for I Year BA/BSc students, February 2018.
- ‘Campus Connect’ Human Library of Bangalore conducted in association with Human Library of Copenhagen on January 12th 2018.
- Holly Wise, Fulbright scholar, conducted workshops for first-year students on Solutions Journalism.
- Hosted had an interaction with journalists in Bangalore on Solutions Journalism. Holly Wise, Fulbright scholar, moderated the interaction.
- The Changemaker series, in association with Save the Child, on 8 August 2018.
- Photography and Photojournalism workshops by Gopinathan K, former chief photographer of The Hindu.
- Highly qualified and experienced teachers who can train students in both theoretical and practical aspects of Journalism and Mass Media.
- Curriculum tailored to focus on Print, Broadcast, Digital Media, Advertising & Public Relations offering students a plethora of job opportunities.
- Fully equipped studio with professional editing software.
- Notable Alumane - Maya Sharma, Faye D'Souza, Neena Gopal, Deepa Balakrishnan, and many more.
Dr. Vivitha M K
HOD & Assistant Professor
Dr. Shilpa J
Binek Krishna K.S