The need for an interdisciplinary programme in Biology at the Post-Graduate level, led to the establishment of the M. Sc. Life Science Department at Mount Carmel College in the year 2007. The course covers various basic and applied aspects of Biological Sciences. Such a holistic approach to the study of Biology is unique and very few Universities and colleges across the country offer similar programmes. As a result, about 70-80% of the student intake is from outside the state.
The Department has grown steadily both in the area of academics as well as research. Student enrolment has increased. The alumni are being successfully placed in various research institutes, companies, pharma industry, and technical writing institutes/industries. A good proportion of the students opts for higher education and completes their doctoral degree in Universities in India and abroad.
Quality education to reach the maximum population of girls belonging to all stratas of socio-economic status by enabling them to face challenges in life and create a career through scientific temperament and ethical practices.
- Enable the students to integrate the curriculum to life requirements and empower them to be efficient teachers, researchers, and human beings
- Approach to higher learning through the integration of classical, applied, and emerging fields of biological sciences to improve the quality of life of students and the society
Head of the Department
Dr. Suba G. A. Manuel, Associate Prof,M. Phil., Ph. D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
UG Dual Major Program
2022 - 23
- Alumni talk series by Ms Chiti Arvind, Alumna, IISER, Tirpathi & Dr. Surabhi Subhir, Post-Doc, Ireland.
- Guest lecture on “Reproductive endocrinology” by Dr. Premalatha Krishna Kumar, Consultant gynecologist and Colposcopy specialist, Coimbatore.
- Guest Lecture on “Therapeutic Frontiers in overcoming chemotherapeutic resistance in ovarian cancer” by Dr. Jayakumar R Nair, NIH, Bethesda.
- Inter collegiate Science fest “Biologique 2023- Cervical Cancer awareness”.
2021 - 22
- Webinar series on Alumni talk by Ms. Saniya Pamnani, Alumna & Dr. Sushmita Sudarshan, Molecular Devices, California.
- Guest Lecture on “Some Aspects of Molecular Evolution” by Dr. Tejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
- Webinar on “Post -Harvest Technology” by Dr. Sundaravalli A, Home Science, MCC, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Molecular Evolution and Neutrality” by Dr. Vidyanand Nanjundiah, The Centre for Human Genetics, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Molecular Tools in Phylogeny” by Dr. Tejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
2020 - 21
- Webinar on “Stem Cell Transplantation” by Dr. Anand Prakash, St John’s Medical College Hospital, Bengaluru.
- Webinar on “Invincible Corona” by Ms. Vimala Francis, Retd. Dean, MCC, Bengaluru.
- Webinar on “Good Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices” by Dr. Nellaiah Hariharan, Biozeen Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru.
- Webinar on “An Introduction to Bird Migration” by Dr. Thejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
- Guest Lecture on “Keeping Time in Biological World- The Tales of How Flies Helped Solve Clock Mysteries?” by Dr. Sheeba Vasu, JNCASR, Bengaluru.
- Guest Lecture on “Biofuel Production and its Applications” by Dr. Savitha G., NDRI, Bengaluru.
- Guset lecture on “Phyllosphere Methylobacterium have Variable Effects on its Rice Host Plant by Dr. Pratibha Sanjenbam, NCBS, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Some Aspects of Molecular Evolution” by Dr. Tejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
2019 - 20
- Guest lecture on “An Introduction to Molecular Evolution” by Dr. Thejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Immune System and Health” by Dr. Shishupala, Davanagere University, Davanagere.
- Workshop on “Flow Cytometry and Data Analysis” by Mr. Vishal Shinde, CellKraft Biotech Ltd. Bengaluru.
- Webinar series on “Future Prospects in Life Science” by Dr. Sudha Rao, Genotypic Technologies, Bengaluru., Ms. Ananya Sen, University of Illinois, USA and Ms. Subhashini Joshi, Rutgers University, USA.
2018 - 19
- Guest lecture on “Probiotics, Prebiotics and Synbiotics: Good Food for Good Health” by Dr. Sadananda. G. K, Department of Postharvest Technology, College of Horticulture, UAS, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “An Introduction to Molecular Evolution and Molecular Clocks” by Dr. Thejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “The Ever-Changing Brain and Challenges in Treating Neurological and Psychiatric disorders” by Dr B. S. Shankaranarayana Rao, NIMHANS, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Flight Modifications in Birds” by Dr. Thejaswi Shivanand, Centre for Learning, Bengaluru.
- Guest lecture on “Evolution of the Bacterial Translation Machinery” by Dr Deepa Agashe, NCBI, Bengaluru.
The focus of the department is on holistic learning – both classic and emerging areas. Some of the highlights of the department are:
- The department encourages faculty and students to participate in National and International Conferences.
- Choice Based Credit System enables students to choose papers of their interest.
- Provides job oriented hands-on skill training.
- The experienced faculty encourage and prepare students for multiple job prospects for teaching career, for research and to take up higher studies in India and abroad
Dr. Suba G A Manuel
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. Padmashree Kulkarni
Dr. Sowmya Kumar
Dr. Sajitha T P