As economic growth propels India towards becoming a middle-income country over the next decade, it is imperative that its structures, processes and ideas of governance keep pace. Closing the governance gap requires talented individuals to be equipped with the right ideas, competencies and networks. The pioneering Master of Arts in Public Policy program is specifically designed to create talented professionals who are well-equipped to engage in the complex arena of public affairs in India. It will provide a firm understanding of the fundamentals in public policy, economic reasoning, and governance to enable participants to apply them in their professional lives.
The program is also designed to help participants become more engaged in the policy making process, as analysts, as public leaders, officials, public relations specialists, or indeed, as active citizens.
The vision of the department is to provide our students with a strong academic foundation in economic theory and encourage them to apply their knowledge to analyse economic issues and policies.
- To be a center of excellence by training students in economic applications
- To keep up with changes and improve course sequencing
- To promote vibrant economic and social science research
- To update knowledge and skills in information/communication technology for more effective teaching, learning, and research.
- To enhance collaborations & industry-interface
- To provide opportunities to students for the development of leadership skills through activities / programs
Dr. Kavya Shree K, M.A., Ph.D., NET,
Associate Professor & Coordinator - MA Public Policy
Email : email@example.com
|Title of the Paper||Title of the Paper|
|Introduction to Public Policy||Writing a Policy Brief & Policy Analysis|
|Microeconomics||Public Administration &Governance|
|Writing & Communication Skills for Public|
|State & Political Institutions||Research Methodology|
|Indian Society & Social Movements||Urban Governance|
|Quantitative Techniques for Public Policy||Media Strategy for Public Policy|
|III Semester||IV Semester|
|Title of the Paper||Title of the Paper|
|Law and Public Policy||Sectoral Policy Analysis Workshop|
|Development Studies & Public Policy||Behavioral Sciences and Public Policy|
|Public Finance & Financial Administration||Ethics in Public Policy|
|Analytical Skills for Public Policy||Internship|
|Geo Politics||PP Dissertation|
TESTING AND EVALUATION
Assessment: Each course will have assignments and examinations to assess the
students’ progress. The assignments will be innovative and suited to the current industry needs. Assessment will range from writing essays, blogging, making a short YouTube video to running a simulated election campaign.
- An International Conference on Public Policy Affairs was hosted with Dr. Amitab Kundu (Economist) and Mr. Chintamani Mahapatra (Pro VC JNU) delivering their inaugural address. The conference also witnessed 45 research scholars presenting their papers.
- Launched the Participatory Democracy Fellowship in association with B.Pac. It is a 150-hour fellowship. In the first semester, the students are linked to Ward Corporators. They study the ward and submit their report and policy suggestions to the Corporator. In the second semester, a constituency is chosen by the students and they work with the MLA to study the constituency and suggest policy measures.
- As per the job market needs, they launch the GIS mapping software which is a compulsory add-on paper for I Semester students.
- Launched the modern political campaign as an add-on compulsory paper for the III Semester. The mock assembly elections done are a part of the add-on program which was also covered by major newspapers like Times of India, Mirror and local regional papers.
Through the program, students will be able to:
- Forge effective relationships with policy actors and policy networks.
- Identify and understand India’s policy environment
- Situate India’s role as an emerging geopolitical and geo-economic power within the context of its developmental challenges
- Apply economic reasoning in analysing public policy challenges
- Engage, negotiate with and partner with government, public and non-governmental
- Acquire the necessary skill set to communicate, persuade, and implement policy ideas