The Department of Mathematics started with a humble beginning in the year 1968 with one combination at the undergraduate level with Mathematics as one of the major subjects and a single faculty member. It has grown into six combinations in undergraduate level with nine faculty members. The year 2009 marked a great leap in starting the postgraduate course in Mathematics with tracks in Applied, Pure and Computational Mathematics. The main objective of the Department is to sharpen the mathematical skills along with inculcating an aptitude for research in mathematics and thereby training the students to meet the challenges of the dynamic subject.
To provide quality, integral, and career-oriented education while creating a climate for human and educational excellence.
To promote the realistic growth of women in all frontiers of life and empower them to be agents of liberative transformation and mathematical proficiency.
Head of the Department
Dr. Vijayalakshmi. B, Associate Prof., M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.
For UG : firstname.lastname@example.org
For PG : email@example.com
Dual Discipline Program
2022 - 23
- MATHEMATICS DAY - The National Level Workshop on Graph theory was conducted on 6th February 2023. Dr R Sundareswaran, Associate Professor at SSN College of Engineering spoke about his work on Vulnerability Parameters in Graph Theory. Our second guest speaker Dr K A Venkatesh, Dean and professor of Chanakya University gave a lecture on learning discrete mathematics using Sage software.
- CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN THE FIELD OF MATHEMATICS
The Seminar on Financial Mathematics and the opportunities available in the Indian market conducted by The Department of Mathematics and Centre for International Program and Partnerships conducted an insightful session with Professor Jamie Alcock from University of Birmingham on 16th March 2023.
2021 - 22
- National Mathematics Day was celebrated on 23rd November 2021. A guest lecture by Dr Arulalan Rajan on the concepts computational methods for investigating and solving problems in number theory was delivered. The talk was followed by release of the Newsletter ‘Mathemalite’ published by the Department on the theme ‘MATHEMATICS FOR A BETTER WORLD’.
- International Conference on Emerging Trends in Applied Mathematics a Two-day event, organized by the Department of Mathematics on 21st and 22nd April 2022 in collaboration with Centre for Scientific Research and Advanced Learning and in association with Internal Quality Assurance Cell, Mount Carmel College, Autonomous, Bengaluru in Hybrid Mode.
2020 - 21
- Webinar on ‘Reduce , Reuse, Recycle and Refuse’, conducted by the department on 09/01/21.
- Webinar by on ‘ Mathematical Genius for a common man’ conducted by the department on 18/01/21.
2019 - 20
- A one day workshop was conducted on MATLAB and Image Processing on 6th March 2019.
Resource person -Mr. Pramod Kumar Naik from CoreEL Technologies
- One day hands-on training on “Python” was conducted on 30/11/2019 for final year students.
Resource persons- Mr. Rajendra.M and Mr. Mohammed Mukthar Ahamed.
- Department of Mathematics conducted Mathematical Modelling workshop during Science Fest on 23rd August 2019. Mr.Arun Desai had been to our college to conduct this workshop. Students from 1st year had actively attended the workshop. They were taught to make models. Students from final year volunteered for the workshop.
- NATIONAL MATHEMATICS DAY on 11th Dec, 2019.
A special lecture by Dr. Pradeep G. Siddheshwar (Department of Mathematics, Bangalore University) was arranged. A poster presentation competition was conducted with the topic was ‘Application of Mathematics in Real Life’. This was followed by an interactive session of Pictionary competition A short documentary on Srinivasa Ramanujan’s life was shown. Students from St. Joseph’s and Christ (deemed to be university) college also took part in the competitions.
2018 - 19
- A workshop on “MATLAB- Basic Functions and Image Processing” 5th March 2018.
- A workshop on Ramanujan’s contribution to mathematics during “NATIONAL MATHEMATICS DAY” which was celebrated by the dept of Mathematics on 20th of December 2018 to commerorate the birth anniversary of Indian Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan.
i)Intra collegiate Mathematicians- Portrait competition was held
ii)Mathematical Model Exhibition-More than 30 models were displayed Invited talks on "Journey through the life of Ramanujan –a mathematical legend” by Dr.Mahadev Nayak, BCU and Ms.Shantha, Former HOD Dept.of Mathematics
iii)Some government schools were also invited
- INSPIRE PROGRAMME during 22nd to 25th of October,2018
“Why the exponential e, the natural base of logarithm?”
“Brain MACHINE Interface”.
- Conducts workshops on latest mathematical softwares like MATLAB, Mathematica, Python regularly in order to meet the modern world.
- Organizes National Mathematics Day every year in commemoration of Srinivasa Ramanujan through series of lectures, inter and intra college activities.
- One UGC Research project and three Management Research projects completed by the faculty of the department.
- Students of B.Sc. are encouraged to participate in summer internships every year and few students have completed their internships at IISc, IIT, TIFR, SSN University and other reputable scientific institutions.
- Students of M.Sc. Mathematics work on various projects, some of their projects are published in reputed journals including UGC care, Scopus and Web of Science.
- The department regularly organises various talks on multidisciplinary areas to enhance the skills of the students and make them ready to face the challenging world.
Dr. B Vijayalakshmi
HOD & Associate Professor
Ms. Varsha S N
Dr. Kavitha S
Dr. M Clement Joe Anand
Ms. Sowmya K G
Dr. Thulasi K R
Dr. Trishna Kumari