The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 1989. The department attained a Star College Status from DBT, Government of India in 2017. Department of Microbiology, offers innovative and inter-disciplinary dual major programmes in the scientific disciplines of Microbiology with Botany, Chemistry and Zoology within a vibrant and stimulating community where knowledge is constantly imparted and exchanged.
The programme aims to mould the conventional bachelor's into a more holistic science education experience, bringing together the Microbial, Plant, Chemical and Animal Sciences. Our students are encouraged to take part in research activities, thus providing them a symbiotic environment of education and research.
The Department of Microbiology envisions a life oriented, student centric and hands on education system that transforms and empowers students into socially conscious women.
Department of programmes of Microbiology aims to empower students by providing knowledge and training, placing importance on industry- academia, student research projects and skill based developmental programmes to lead a holistic and fruitful life.
Head of the Department
Dr. Sarayu Mohana, Assistant prof.,M Sc., Ph.D.
Dual Discipline Programs
2022 - 23
- Department organized a Academia event on the theme of VEDASTHRA, The Ultimate Vidyayuddha: Reminiscing the ancient games of Indian mythology and tradition on 29th September 2022.
- Department conducted Two day workshop on Scientific writing by Dr. Sneha Garge on 19th December 2022 and 4th January 2023.
- Department conducted SCIENCE EXHIBITION on Awarness about testing drinking water quality using MPN procedure , Nipah virus and extraction of DNA from Bananas on 28th February 2023.
- One day SYMPOSIUM ON SCIENCE BEYOND ACADEMIA was organized on 30th March 2023. GUEST SPEAKERS were eminent scientists from industry and research institutes Dr. Aparna Kasinath, Dr. Kesavardana Sannula Ms. Ashwathi V.
- Community Development Programme was organized on 20th April 2023 to create awareness on Antibiotic resistance and Self medication and Awarness on H3N2 virus.
2021 - 22
- Department organized a fresher’s day event Scienza relay on 23-08-2021.
- To celebrate the International Microorganism Day on 17-09-2021 and 18-09-2021 poster making and creative writing on various topic of microbiology were conducted.
- One day Webinar: Challenges and opportunities in microbiology in todays world was organized on 22-09-2021. Speaker was a very experienced scientist and professor in microbiology, Prof. Archana Gayatri, HOD Dept. of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Academicia Stoicheia 2021 an intercollegiate competition titled Meme-On : Educa-tion vs Meme-tion was conducted on 11-10-2021.
- To commemorate the Global Handwashing Day, correct technique of handwash as suggested by WHO was demonstrated through vedios on 15-10-2021.
- As a part of science association, Prathibimb Ayushi, a workshop on “Know your flora” was conducted on 28-10-2022.
- Awarness programmes were organized on World Tuberculosis and Malaria Day on 24-03-2022 & 25-04-2022.
- Community Development Programme (CDP) on Health and Hygiene Awareness for the Vasanth Nagar BBMP workers was conducted on 5 May 2022 in association with the Institutional and Social Responsibility Cell (ISRC).
2020 - 21
- One day Webinar on “Your Eyes and Covid 19” in association with Narayana Nethralaya , Bengaluru on 3rd June 2020.
- Two day Webinar on “Navigating through the Career Maze with Sciences” on 16th October 2020 and 23rd October 2020 from the alumni students.
- One day webinar on ‘Invincible Corona’on 6th Novemeber 2020 from Dr. Vimala Francis, the former Dean of Science of Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru.
- Guest Lecture “From Inoculation Loops to Whisks” on 29th October 2020 from Sonam Samtani, an esteemed chef at CUT, by Wolfgang Puck, Singapore. Microbiology.
- One day webinar on “‘Time Flies, an Extraordinary Tale of Clock and Fruit Flies’ on 3rd March 2021 from Dr. Sheeba Vasu, faculty fellow in the Neuroscience unit, JNCASR Bangalore.
- One day Webinar on ‘Entrepreneurship opportunities in waste water treatment’ on 20th March 2021 from Dr. D. C. Sharma, Professor, Rajarajeshwari Engineering College, Bengaluru.
- Community development programme was organized (CDP) 2021- Distribution of Sanitization Kit to daily wage workers on 10th April 2021.
- (CDP) 2021- Vaccination Drive for senior citizens, labourers and househelp on 15 th March to 4 th April 2021.
2019 - 20
- Exhibition on “Efficacy of Hand Sanitizers” conducted on 23rd August as part of science day programme.
- You Can’t B. cereus !!! – Quiz competition for all science students 23rd August as part of science day programme.
- Exhibition on “Swatch Campus Abhiyan: Role of Microbiology in making clean and healthy Scociety” was conducted on 5th of September 2019.
- The college was awarded the 2nd prize by MHRD Swatch Campus Ranking.
- Department conducted 3 day webinar on Faculty Enrichment Programme titled “ Frontiers in Smart Learning” in association with DBT Star Colleges from 14th – 16th May 2020.
- A webinar on “COVID 19- Unravelling the Virus” was organized on 26th May 2020 under DBT Star College Scheme.
- One day Webinar on “Your Eyes and Covid 19” in association with Narayana Nethralaya , Bengaluru on 3rd June 2020 . Dr.Aaditi Anilkumar, Ophthalmologist, focused on protection of eyes from digital strain, conjunctivitis and other eye issues during Covid 19 situation. The webinar was viewed by 824 participants from all over India.
- Workshop on “Biological and Physical sciences”, under DBT Star College Program, Govt. of India, was conducted on Wednesday, 13th September 2019 by department of Microbiology for under graduate students of 10 different colleges in and around Bengaluru.
- Workshop on “Instrumentation in a Microbiology Lab” for Home Science and Nutrition and Dietetics students (60 students) of Mount Carmel College on 12th December 2019.
- A guest lecture on “Skills, Career and Opportunities in Microbiology and Life Sciences"” by Dr. Nandakumar K.S., Principal Scientist, Bioscience Corporate R&D,ITC Life Sciences and Technology Center(LSTC),ITC Limited, Bengaluru on 18th January 2020.
- COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (CDP) - Joy of Giving was organized on 20 December 2019.
- Department organized COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (CDP) 2020- Oral health awareness Program, for Government schools in rural Bengaluru in association with Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Sciences, Ramiah Institute of Dental Sciences, Bengaluru, on 20 Febraury 2020.
- Industrial visit to Gone Mad chocolate factory, Garuda Foods Ltd., Bommasandra and Kadu Sula Vineyards, Channapatna, on 16th December 2020. This trip was funded under DBT star college scheme.
2018 - 19
- GUEST LECTURE was organized on the topic “STEM CELL CULTURING AND ITS APPLICATIONS” and SPEAKER was DR. NANADAKUMAR KS, PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST BIOSCIENCES, ITC LSTC ITC LIMITED, BANGALORE.
- Community Development Programme was conducted in an attempt to raise awareness of how dangerous self medication can be, “say no to self medication!”.
- The event was covered by Vijay Karnataka, leading regional newspaper.
- CDP – INTERACTION WITH HIV INFECTED CHILDREN OF INFANT JESUS ORPHANAGE, BENGALURU (NOV-DEC 2018).
- Established in the year 1989, Achieved the “DBT Star College Status”.
- Courses offered: BM – Botany and Microbiology ZM – Zoology and Microbiology, CM– Chemistry and Microbiology.
BOS Constitution & Curricular Aspects External Members:
- Prof. Srinivas C (Chairperson, Professor,Department of Microbiology, Bengaluru University).
- Prof. Dipshikha Chakrovorty (Dept. of Microbiology, IISC , Bengaluru).
- Dr. Aparna Kasinath (Head, Operations and Testing, Clinigene, BIOCON, Bengaluru).
- Dr. Ashwini Sateesh(HOD, Jain University, Bengaluru).
- Ms. Ashwathi V (Research Associate, Tata Institute for Genetics and Society, Centre In Stem, Bengaluru).
Major Advancements in Curriculum:
- The all new NEP syllabus implemented from 2021
- Curriculum is Skill based, Research based, project based
- Compulsory Internship at Industry or research lab for second year students
- On par with national and global universities
- Community Development Programmes
- Workshops and Hands on training Programmes on latest techniques in the field of Microbiology
- Employability: Industry, Research, Academics
Teaching - Learning Process
- Well equipped Lab
- Workshops , guest lectures and webinars
- Industrial Visits
- Journal Clubs and MicroBlog
- Annual Newsletter
- Community Development Programmes
- Extension activities and Out Reach Programmes
Higher Education and Placement
Post Graduate programmes with integrated Ph.D :
Tata institute of Fundamental Research(Mumbai), IISER (Pune) , Centre for Human Genetics (Bengaluru), Maharaja Sayajirao University (Vadodara), Madhurai Kamraj University (Madurai), Vellore Institute of Technology (Vellore), NEURASMUS (Germany), University of Bonn (Germany), University of Maryland (USA), Ulm University (Germany),Max Plank Institute(Germany), Kings College (UK), University of Leeds (UK), University of Texas (USA) etc.
Industry Placements/ Partners :
BIOCON, SYNGENE, ELLYLILLY, IISC, LABCROP DRUGS, BREW 51,HIMALAYA DRUG CORPORATION, MOLECULAR CONNECTIONS, SUNFED, LINKEDIN, ACCENTURE, GODREJ AND BOYCE, BIJU’S etc.
Dr. Sarayu Mohana
HOD & Assistant Professor
Ms. Anu Mariam Kurian