Students undertaking the M.Sc. program in Chemistry at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore and acquire an in-depth understanding of the episteme – Chemistry. By putting in a conscious effort to impart knowledge about the field by reputed professors and lecturers, this program is designed to foster a culture wherein students’ talent is amplified with knowledge, technical training and guidance. Through rigorous evaluation patterns, our students are encouraged to put their skills to use and venture into the field of Chemistry by enhancing their critical thinking abilities and sensibilities. On acquiring knowledge of the qualitative and quantitative techniques as well as gaining an in-depth understanding of the field, Graduates of this degree will be able to demonstrate their skills in Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Spectroscopy, etc. The Curricular and Extracurricular activities are designed in a way to ensure that the students receive a holistic understanding through the curriculum.
To enable, empower and encourage students to respond pro-actively in the broadest and most liberal manner, for the advancement of science and particularly in chemistry through education, research, and service.
- Frequent interactions between faculty and students
- Development of innovative interdisciplinary courses and research programs
- Development of the highest quality undergraduate and postgraduate chemistry programs
- Producing research findings that have a significant impact on issues such as health, environment, and energy
Head of Department
Mrs. N. Bhagyalakshmi
Associate Professor, M.Sc., M.Phil.
Program Matrix (For M.Sc. Chemistry)
|M.Sc. Chemistry||Credits||Total marks|
|Semester||Course Title||No. of hours / week(LTP)||Credits|
|I||Inorganic Chemistry I (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Inorganic Chemistry I (CC)||0-0-4|
|Organic Chemistry I (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Organic Chemistry I (CC)||0-0-4|
|Analytical Chemistry I (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Analytical Chemistry I (CC)||0-0-4|
|Physical Chemistry I (CC)||4-0-0||5|
|Mathematics for Chemists (AC)||2-0-0||2|
|Practical: Physical Chemistry I (AC)||0-0-4||2|
|II||Inorganic Chemistry II (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Inorganic Chemistry II (CC)||0-0-4|
|Organic Chemistry II (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Organic Chemistry II (CC)||0-0-4|
|Physical Chemistry II (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Physical Chemistry II (CC)||0-0-4|
|Spectroscopy I (CC)||4-0-0||5|
|Research Methodology (AC)||2-0-0||2|
|Practical: Analytical Chemistry II (AC)||0-0-4||2|
|Community Development Program||-||1|
|III||Inorganic Chemistry III (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Inorganic Chemistry III (CC)||0-0-4|
|Physical Chemistry III (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Physical Chemistry III (CC)||0-0-4|
|Elective: Organic Chemistry III (EC) / Medicinal Chemistry (EC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Organic Chemistry III (CC)||0-0-4|
|Spectroscopy II (EC)||4-0-0||5|
|Practical: Inorganic Chemistry IV (AC)||0-0-4||2|
|Forensic Science (MDC)||2-0-0||2|
|IV||Inorganic Chemistry IV (CC)||3-0-0||5|
|Organic Chemistry IV (EC)||3-0-0||5|
|Practical: Organic Chemistry IV (EC)||0-0-4|
|Analytical Chemistry III (EC)||4-0-0||4|
|Project / Viva Voce||12||8|
- CC - Core Course
- AC - Allied Course
- EC - Elective Course
- MDC - Multidisciplinary Course
Career options after M.Sc., General Chemistry
- UGC-CSIR-NET / SET qualified candidates:
a. Assistant Professor in reputed colleges
b. Getting JRF in the exam give options of doing phD with stipend /becoming Junior Scientific officer in national laboratories.
PSU companies recruitment for Gate qualified / Non-qualified need to write entrance test and Interview.
Benefits: Work life balance with Good central government salary.
MECL-Executive trainee chemist
ONGC- Chemist officer
IOCL-Assistant officer-quality control
DRDO-Scientific officer – Grade-B
BARC-Scientific officer- Grade-C
NHA-National Health Authority
NTPC -National Thermal Power Corporation of India
The following companies conduct entrance exams and interview for various posts every year and notification is published in their websites.
- CGPDTM-Controller General of patent designs and Trademarks.(under ministry of commerce and industry- Recruiting M.Sc Freshers on contract basis)- Patent Examiner post.
- FSSAI–Food Safety and Standards Authority of India –Advisor and Assistant Director. They offer internships also for the UG and PG students.
- FCI – Food corporation of India - technical officer.
- GSI-Geological Survey of India- Geochemist (UPSC – Group-A exam).
- SPMCIL- Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd.
- IGCAR -Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research- JRF is filled based on Gate score. Free accommodation with stipend is provided with SRF option after 5 years.
- CFTRI-Central Food Technological Research Institute. CSIR-CFTRI is a recognized institution for doing Ph.D. degree in Science under the University of Mysore, University of Mangalore. Students can register for Ph.D. under Biochemistry, Bioscience, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Food Science, Food Technology, Food Science & Nutrition and Microbiology.
- Lecturer/ teacher – PGT- B.Ed - KV sangathan/kendriyavidhyalaya/Navodaya.