Students undertaking the M.Sc. program in Food Science & Nutrition at Mount Carmel College are trained to explore and acquire an in-depth understanding of the episteme of Food Science & Nutrition. By putting in a conscious effort to impart knowledge about the field by reputed professors and lecturers, this program is designed to foster a culture wherein students’ talent is amplified with knowledge, technical training and guidance. The program focuses in facilitating nutritionists to apply knowledge drawn from relevant sciences to promote an understanding of the effects of nutrition on growth, development and well-being. In addition to this, the curriculum has been designed to create a link between the food industry and health industry to provide opportunities to work in research, food industry, hospitals and health promotion sectors. It is further strengthened with project work and internship’s in the food industry, hospitals & public nutrition area. Furthermore, through rigorous evaluation patterns, our students are encouraged to put their skills to use and venture into the field of Food Science & Nutrition by enhancing their critical thinking abilities and sensibilities. On acquiring knowledge of the qualitative and quantitative techniques as well as gaining an in-depth understanding of the field, Graduates of this degree will be able to demonstrate their skills in Nutrition Counselling, Nutrition Biochemistry, Public Health Nutrition & Nutritional Epidemiology, etc. The Curricular and Extracurricular activities are designed in a way to ensure that the students receive a holistic understanding through the curriculum.
Head of Department
Dr. Sangeeta Pandey
To accentuate nutrition education based on recent developments in science and technology to improve the awareness and the quality of life.
- To understand the human needs and integrate health and nutrition in the family and society across different economic classes.
- Application of nutrition knowledge in their day to day life
Aspirants of the program should have completed B.Sc Degree from a UGC recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics/ Nutrition and Dietetics / Food Science and Quality Control/ Human Nutrition/Applied Nutrition/Food Science and Nutrition/ Home Science or Family and Community Sciences Eligibility criteria – 65% (aggregate marks in nutrition subjects in an undergraduate degree) Admissions based on Under Graduate marks, entrance examination and interview
Course Future Prospects
Post graduates can work as a Nutritionist / Dietitian in Health Care Centres, Public Nutrition Programmes, Food Industry, and/or a Scientific Officer in Food industries, Nutrition Coach, Teach, Research in Food & Nutrition , Food Scientist / Consultant in Food Industries, or pursue their Ph.D. in Food and Nutrition.
Connecting to the Community
Nourish Young Minds – School Nutrition Education Program
|Recent advances in Nutrition – Macronutrients
|Clinical & Therapeutic Nutrition- I
|Food Safety & Quality Assurance
|Techniques in Food Analysis
|Community Development Program
||Recent advances in Nutrition – Micronutrients
|Clinical & Therapeutic Nutrition – II
|Principles of Food Science
|Research methods in food science & nutrition
|Nutrition Psychology & Diet Adherence
||Advances in Food Microbiology & Preservation
|Program Planning and Nutrition Education in Community
|Nutraceuticals & Functional Food
|Paediatric & Geriatric Nutrition
|Community Nutrition & Public Health
|Nutrition for Women
||Food Product Development
|Nutrition during Emergency
|Food Processing & Functional Quality
|Recent Advances in Nutrition during Life Cycle
Our students with rich experience and good exposure are working at reputed organizations in various capacities both in India and abroad.
Organizations that have employed our students include:
Healthcare / Community
Apollo Hospital, Aster CMI Hospital, Bioquest, Columbia Asia Hospital, Cloud Nine Hospital, Diet Mantra (Kolkata), Fortis Hospitals, Healthify Me, Leicestershire Nutrition & Dietetics Service (UK), M.S.Ramaiah Memorial Hospital, Otawa Hospital, Civic Campus (Canada), QUA Nutrition – Signature Clinic, Right Living, Sagar Hospital, SOUKYA International Holistic Health Centre, Truweight Wellness Pvt. Ltd.
Britannia Industries Limited, British Biologicals, Hindustan Unilever Limited, Inner Being, Masala Box, Pristine Organics Pvt Ltd.
St John’s Research Centre, National Institute of Nutrition Diverse career opportunities have been offered to Postgraduates attaining successful careers at Food Industries, Hospitals, Health Care Business, Community and also as Entrepreneurs.
Nutritium (Nutrition Counselling Cell)
Nutritium is an in-house Nutrition Counselling Cell, initiated in 20th Aug 2015. It is exclusively run by Post Graduate students. It is aimed to provide Nutrition Counselling for therapeutic conditions, healthy life, and lifestyle modifications. The Community Outreach program and In-house Nutrition Awareness has been conducted regularly.
M.Sc Food Science & Nutrition – 2022
Total number of seats: 30
- Students are required to submit an ONLINE APPLICATION FORM available on the college website: mccblr.edu.in
- Admissions will be based on Under Graduate marks, an entrance examination followed by an interview
- Eligibility Criteria
- Aspirants of the program should have completed B.Sc Degree from a UGC recognized university with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics/ Nutrition and Dietetics / Food Science and Quality Control/ Human Nutrition/Applied Nutrition/Food Science and Nutrition/ Home Science or Family and Community Sciences
- Selection Process
- As per the eligibility criteria, candidates will be selected for Online Entrance ExamCandidates will be shortlisted based on their entrance marks and will be called for an interview for final selection
- Entrance Exam
- The syllabus for the entrance examination will be based on the graduation subjects: Physiology, Nutritional Biochemistry, Food Science, Food Microbiology, Human Nutrition, and Dietetics
- Based on the entrance exam results, selected candidates will be called for personal interviews and document verification for the final selection.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be intimated via e-mail for the entrance exam and interview
- Online Application forms received till 20th May 2022
- Entrance Exam: 27th May 2022
- Online Application forms received from 21st May 2022 – 20th June’ 22
- Entrance Exam: 27th June 2022
- Interview: 28th June 2022