Head of DepartmentDr. Sujata Gupta Kedar (Ph.D., MSc)
- To intra personally and inter personally grow and develop holistically
- To adjust to the changing roles and responsibilities in society
- To be tolerant, have integrated, happy and healthy families, societies and nation
- To provide students with an excellent program where they can observe, learn and practice Human Development
- To provide an empowering education to students to affect and transform human lives and to contribute proactively, creatively, progressively and humanely to improve life and standards of living.
Eligibility CriteriaStudents who aspire to be a part of the program must have a Bachelors’ Degree from any stream from a recognized university provided they have not secured not less than 50%.
Course Future ProspectsPostgraduates of Human Development can work in special schools, rehabilitation centres, schools, research centres, early childhood centres, trainers, consultants and can be engaged in entrepreneurial ventures.
|Name of Course|
|CC-01||Human Growth and Development|
|CC-02||Theoretical perspectives in HD|
|CC-03||Infant Development and Stimulation|
|CC-04||Curriculum Planning and Participation for Early Childhood Education|
|CC-06||Children with Special Needs and Inclusive Education|
|Semester III||Community Development Program|
|EC-02||Curriculum Planning and Supervision for Early Childhood Education|
|EC-03||Crime and Violence /Family and Community Dynamics|
|EC-04||Women Studies/ Play and Creativity across Lifespan|
|AC-05||Human Resource Management|
|OE||Open Elective – Human Sexuality|
|Semester IV||Internship Report|
|EC-05||Media in Human Development|
|EC-06||Guidance and Counseling/ Culture and Psychology|
|EC-07||Human rights / Management of Programs for Children and Families|
- Understand concepts that will help students to acquire a thorough understanding of human development across the life span
- Comprehend the interplay between family, the workplace, schools, the community, and the larger culture that affects the individual
- Learn skills for helping individuals, families, or groups through workshops, seminars, guest lectures, and panel discussions
- Apply the knowledge learned in the program to conduct awareness programs for the community on various issues and challenges of the society
- Design and implement activities/materials to stimulate an individual’s development across age groups
- Prepare the students to cater to the needs of special children through an individualized educational program
- Understand, analyze, criticize and administer different psychological tests across the life span
- Comprehend the significance of mental health and well-being throughout the life span
- Make strategies to improve the well-being among communities belonging to different strata, age groups, etc
- Identify and create awareness among students about the various types of crimes and violence across different sections of society
- Inculcate the skills and qualities of a counselor by learning the process of counseling and techniques involved
- Understand the role of media in improving concerns related to human development
- Understand the basics of human resource development
2017 – 2018
- Gerontology Workshop called “Rekindling Joy among Elderly”, focusing on creating joy among the elderly and talking about the importance of teamwork in enhancing physical, social and cognitive development in the elderly on 2nd February, 2018. The event was held at Tara Old Age Home, Rajarajeshwari Nagar.
- Workshop on “Sensitisation Program for Marginalised Communities”, to orient students about marginalised communities and to educate students on the problems faced by marginalised communities, on 2nd Feb 2018, at Goodwill’s Girls’ High School, Promenade Road, Fraser Town, Bangalore. and the same workshop was again organised on 1st February, 2018, Hindu Balika Pathshalaya, Shivaji Nagar.
- Awareness workshop on “Personal hygiene and self defence”, to orient students on personal care and the importance of hygiene during menstruation, on 18th January, 2018, held at Featherlite Pottery Town Government School.
- Workshop on “Relationship building and achieving career goals”. The workshop was conducted for Adolescents to help them in resolving conflicts in relationships with peers, teachers and family. The workshop also focused on showcasing the importance of education for a bright future and career opportunities, on 19th December, 2017 at Stella Maris Convent School, Gayathri Devi Park Extension.
- Panel Discussion on the topic “Urban women, empowered but how safe?”. The topics discussed were:
- To create awareness about the current situation in India with regard to women living in urban cities
- To sensitise the society about the importance of women safety in India, on 16th September, 2017 at Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru
- Interaction with a social entrepreneur, Ms. Mandira Kumar, with the following objectives:
- To observe different types of teaching learning materials
- To learn the importance of traditional toys in the teaching process, held on 30th August, 2017 at Sutradhar, Indira Nagar, Bangalore
- “Stage show”. To create awareness on women issues and empowerment, on 27th August, 2017, Youth Program – St. Peter’s Pontifical Seminary.
- “Braille Workshop”. Orientation to Braille – reading and writing, on 22nd August, 2017, Department of Human Development.
- “Finger Chats – A Workshop for Learning Sign Language”. Orientation to Sign language, on 10th August, 2017, Department of Human Development.
- Workshop for “Mental Health Development”, was conducted on 13th July, 2017, Kripa Revival Centre, Bangalore with the following objectives:
- To promote positive thinking and positive living in the inmates
- To teach the inmates efficient yet simple techniques for stress management 3. To promote healthy and happy living amongst the inmates
2016 – 2017
- Workshop on Self Concept Development; for recovering alcoholics on 12th August, 2016
- Workshop on Friendship and Classroom Adjustments’ for school children on 22nd July, 2016
- “Be cautious! Life is precious”. A self-defense workshop for students of the department on 22nd February, 2017
- A workshop on Adolescent Growth and Development at Mitralaya Girls School on 1st March, 2017
- UGC Sponsored National Level Workshop on Current trends in Research Methodology & Statistical Analysis in Home Science on 18th, 19th, & 20th December, 2013 in collaboration with Smt VHD Central Institute of Home Science College, Bangalore University