Physics department was established in the year 1969 with a combination of (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
The department offered new combinations like Physics, Mathematics, and Electronics (PME) in the year 1986, and Physics, Mathematics, computer science (PMC) in the year 1989.NEP was implemented in the year 2021 with 3 combinations of Physics mathematics, Physics Chemistry and Physics computer science. Presently Physics Mathematics combination is being offered from 2022-23.
Life oriented education that empowers women with scientific temper, analytical thinking, logical reasoning and application oriented study, to be the architect of transformation and development at different levels of life.
- Promote a value based science education and contribute to the scientific work force of the country.
- Generate interest and passion for the subject and create an environment that is conducive to learning.
Head of the Department
Dr. K S Shamala M.Sc., Ph.D.
Email : email@example.com
Dual Discipline Program
- Lecture and demonstration of working models to enlighten concepts.
- Use of multimedia and science fiction books.
- Chalk and talk.
- Visit to scientific institutions, technical museum and planetarium.
- Screening scientific films and biographies.
- Guest lectures and Experimental demonstration.
- Seminars , workshops symposium and webinars.
- Community development programme – popularizing science among public and develop scientific temperament.
- Conduct national level exams like National graduate Physics examination (NGPE), ,National Anveshika Experimental skill test ( NAEST), Research Education Advancement Programme (REAP). Internship programme. Science fest- intra college, intercollege and any other.
- Annual magazine “tarang”.
- Regular Tutorials.
- Continuous evaluation of students.
- Involvement of Students in various projects to get hands on experience and to gain scientific knowledge.
- Conduction of additional exams like National graduate Physics examination (NGPE).
- Students were given projects on preparation and characterization of various thin films in thin film lab.
- Final year MSc students of Government Science College worked on the project titled “ DSSC preparation and characterization” at MCC thin film lab.
- Final year students were given a project on “perpetration of tin oxide thin films and the characterization for optical and electrical properties. These films were used for BSc laboratory experiments.
- Ongoing project: Preparation of Pervoskite Solar Cells.
- Science fest- Prathibimb 2015
- Research Education Advancement Programme (REAP)
Workshops and Seminars
- Event : Guest lecture in Astrophysics
Details : “Scale of the universe and unsolved problems in Astrophysics”-Dr.Sujatha S, Director, M PBIFR.
- Event : Guest lecture on Material science
Details : “High pressure studies on materials” Dr.Dayana Lonappan, Dr. D. S. Kothari Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Instrumentation and applied physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, and Pre - doctoral Fellow, Hawaii institute of Geophysics, Hawaii, USA.
- Event : Radiation Survey project
Details : Component of background gamma radiation survey - indoor and outdoor radon level’. at Mount Carmel college campus.
- Event : Workshop
Details : ‘Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research’ -INSPIRE- Science camp.
- Event : Experimental Demonstration
Details : ‘Electricity and Magnetism’ by Ms.Sarmistha Sahu ,Professor, MLA college.
- Event : Student workshop
Details : ‘Astronomy and Astrophysics’ Dr.Sujatha S,Director, M P Birla Institute of Fundamental Research, Bengaluru and Research
Associates, Komala S and Krisnakumar Kowshik.
Dr. K S Shamala
HOD & Associate Professor
Specialization : Electronics
Specialization : Electronics
Dr. Rinita J
Specialization : Nano Science & Technology