Department of Political Science was established in the year 1948. In terms of both teaching and research in the field, Department of Political Science has an outstanding reputation. It easily ranks as one of the greatest departments in the nation because of its extremely high potential for academic growth and faculty members who are well-known for their research and teaching skills. The expansion of the Department has occurred at the same time that the field of political science has progressed from a limited body of legal and institutional knowledge to a more extensive social science that integrates and explores sociological, economic, philosophical, and cultural dimensions and, as a result, is better equipped to a constructive study of politics with a great emphasis on the reality of India.
- To promote active citizenship and civic consciousness.
- To achieve a high level of academic excellence and value-based learning.
- To develop an inter-disciplinary perspective for strengthening Civil Society.
- To participate in the process of democratization and empowerment at different levels.
- To comprehend the basic structures and Processes of Government systems and theoretical underpinnings.
- To Analyze Political and policy problems and formulate policy options.
- To use electronic and traditional library recourses to research key local, state, national and international policy issues, and present results.
Head of the Department
Ms. Alice Mathew M.A., M.Phil.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dual Major Program
2022 - 23
- Vidhi - Research Presentation - One Nation Many Paths, 10th August 2022.
- Defining Childhood in India – Guest talk by Dr. Ashwini Tambe, 11th August 2022.
- Online Independence day quiz conducted on 15th August, 2022.
- Bala Janagraha Internship conducted in the month of October 2022.
- Human Rights Awareness Programme conducted in collaboration with Indian Social Institute, 11th December 2022.
- Talk on Indo-Tibetan Relation hosted in association with Indo-Tibetan friendship society, 14th February 2023.
- “Yuva Hakku- Your Vote matters” - Youth voice for Karnataka 2023 election – a group discussion, 13th April, 2023.
- Online quiz to commemorate the birth anniversary of of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar , 14th April 2023.
2021 - 22
- On the eve of Independence Day, a discussion on Freedom struggle and current Political scenario, resource persons were Smt. Padmaja V Rao (Freedom Struggle observer) and Narendra K V ( activist), 14th August, 2021.
- 73rd online Independence day quiz conducted on 15th August, 2021.
- Documentary screening on ‘Nero’s Guests’ by P. Sainath 16th August, 2021.
- HIV/AIDS and Life of Radiance, a talk by Nagaratna Ramagouda of Ashraya Foundation, October 8, 2021.
- “Gender and Society: Attitudes , Behaviour and Institutions”- A talk by Tonmoyee Rani Neog, Asst. Pro, Dept of History , Jaganath College, Assam, October 5, 2021.
- RTI Act, a talk by Adv. Ramya Priya M.R and Deputy Manager of iDare on the developments of RTI Act and the nature of questioning politics in India, October 16, 2021.
- ‘Learning tactics of street play’ a talk by Akshara Venugopal, a well-known scenographer and researcher from Karnataka on the theatre scene in India and the intersection of art and politics on 16th October, 2021.
- Objectification of Women in Media, - a Seminar by Dr Nirupama Singh Dar, November 16, 2021.
- Voters’ Registration Drive, November 23rd and 24th 2021- a drive organized to help students to register as new voters in their constituency through online means, with the help of the app called Voter Helpline.
- A debate on the dangers, perils and possible outcomes on the implementation of AFSPA by Meenu Maria Joseph and Ms Shifa on 28th January, 2022.
- The aspect of Gender in India’s health system – a guest talk by Ms. Sumaiyah Khan, 25th April 2022.
- ‘Decentralization and Participatory Governance’, a talk by Dr. Shobha Ananda Reddy, Department of Panchayat Raj, Government of Karnataka, May 23, 2022.
- 'Democracy at Cross roads' – a panel discussion held between activists, journalists and a MLA on the nature of democracy in India and what we can do as citizens to contribute to creating a safer and more engaging political climate, May 5, 2022.
- Bala-Janagraha, 2021- Our students regularly intern with Bal Janagraha, a grassroots level NGO seeking to educate students on the importance of local governance in India.
- Biweekly newsletter, "The Common Man" A biweekly update on the current happenings of the world and also packed with arcades and cartoons.
2020 - 21
- To commemorate Independence Day “Time Travel” an event where students send entries regarding their views on modern India in contrast to the pre independence India.
- The Chronicles of Clash foretold: Galwan and the possibilities of “Reset in India- China Relations”, 1st August, 2020 by Professor Alka Acharya, JNU.
- “Fake Feud” a game where students had to spot the fake news article on 23rd September 2020.
- Pride Week held from 6th September-12th September, 2020 on two years of the decriminalization of Sec 377, a week of celebrating Art and Culture of the Queer community.
- Relentless , students educated about Caste Dynamics behind Sexual Violence , 16th October 2020.
- Events organized to commemorate Constitution Day, 26th November 2020.
- On the occasion of National Voters Day, plethora of events ranging from Quiz to Poster Making competition organized, 25th January 2021.
- “Nationalism and Nation Building: Nationalism in Europe and India” a talk by Prof. M. J. Vinod, Former Dean, School of Humanities, Bangalore University on 11th November 2020.
- Workshop on “Electoral Reforms” by Deepanshu Singh, Consultant. Government of India and U.P Government, on 16th December 2020.
- Panel Discussion on “Administrative Reforms in Public Administration” on 12th January, 2021.
2019 - 20
- Debate on Gandhi Realism vs Idealism on 10th July 2019.
- Step right up as part of Cul-Week on 15th July, 2019.
- CMCAL workshop on Social Justice and Diversity on 19th August, 2019.
- Walk to create voter awareness in Vasanth Nagar, 25th November, 2019.
- Election Registration Booth, 26th to 28th November, 2019.
- Kashmir after Abrogation of Article 370 – a discussion on 12th December, 2019.
- Bala Janagraha Internship by students from August to December 2019.
- Publications in various UGC recognized Journals.
- Students have bagged ‘The Teach for India’ Fellowship.
- Collaboration with NGO, Janaagraha.
- Have set up a JaagteRaho Club in Mount Carmel College, to encourage students to register in the voter’s list in collaboration with BBMP and State Election Commission.
- Completed UGC Minor Research Projects titled “Reshaping and Restructuring governance in Karnataka” and “Impact of E-Governance in Karnataka”.
- Students have cleared the UPSC and KPSC.
- Students are pursing Masters and Ph.D in universities abroad and Central Universities in India.
- Students are placed in well established companies like Google, Amazon, Ernst and Young, QALARA, Jard Education, Evolve Back Resort, SKolar, Aditi Consulting etc.
- Department has been bringing out bi-weekly News Edition “The Common Man”, since 15th August, 2020. It highlights the national and international news . The department also brings out Annual Newsletter ‘Lyceum’.
Ms. Alice Mathew
HOD & Associate Professor
Dr. George Dimitrov
Dr. Priyanka Mallick
Ms. Kasthuri M
Part Time Lecturer