Faculty Development Programme
- UGC funded state level workshop “Exploration in Scientific Research” March 6th & 7th Organized by Centre for Scientific Research and Advanced Learning in collaboration with Centre for Natural Biological Resources and Community Development (CNBRCD) and Regional Occupational Health Centre (ROHCS-NIOH Southern)
- Two day Faculty Development Program on “Building Statistical Models using SPSS” was conducted in association with PG Dept of Economics (27th and 28th June 2014).
- Three day workshop on “Microtechnique, Microtomy and Histotechnique” in collaboration with Department of Life Science and Connexious Life Science Pvt. Ltd (23rd – 25th July 2014).
- Invited guest lecture on “Soil engineer (earth worms and termites), their impacts on ecosystem functioning and their utilization in agriculture, for the restoration of ecosystem or the management of organic wastes” by Pascal Jouquet, Soil Ecologist, French Institute of Research and Development, France. 2014
- An interactive session was held on 9th August 2014 for arts faculty members by Dr. Madhurima Das on “Essentials of Research Methodology”.
- One day Lecture Program in association with National Network for Mathematical and Computational Biology (NNMCB), Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, was held on 26th November 2014.
- Under Capacity Enhancement Programme Intellectual Property Rights seminar was conducted on 20th and 21st July 2017 conducted by Centre for Intellectual Property Rights and Advocacy (CIPRA) & Ministry of Industry and commerce Chair on Intellectual Property Rights, National Law school India University, Bengaluru In association with Mount Carmel College Research Centre.
- A REFRESHER COURSE ON RESEARCH MENTHODOLOGY AND STATISTICS on from 16th to 22nd March 2018 Organized by Research Centre for Internal & External faculties.
- IPR programme held for PG students of all the three streams (Humanities, Commerce & Science) was conducted on 27th November 2018 in association with Karnataka State Council for Science & Technology (KSCST), Indian Institute of Science.
- Orientation programme was conducted for teachers from 26th November to 1st December 2018 organized from research centre.
Research Centre Activities
Community Development Programme
- Field Demonstration carried out during March-2013 and February -2014 (Carried out by Dr. Gayathri Devi S. S)
Visited two major grape growing district of Karnataka – Bijapur&Chikkaballapur (Bangalore). Based on farmers enthusiasm regarding the treatment of Biocontrol agent, trial was conducted in farmer field to witness its efficacy (Cryptoleamus against mealybugs).
- Industrial project
Unilever funded industrial project was sanctioned in October 2015 to Research Centre, Dr.Sudha Kumaraswamy as principal investigator.
Title: Synthesis, purification and analysis of biomarker compounds
Amount: Rupees 5, 00,000/-.
The project was successfully completed in April 2016.
- Industrial visit organized through Research Centre Unilever Research Centre, Bengaluru for M.Sc. (Biochemistry) students on January 28th
- Department of Scientific Industrial Research (DSIR), GOI recognition for the institution as Scientific and Industrial Research- Organization (SIRO) is extended till 2019.
- During Teachers day programme (September 5th 2017) through research centre certificates were issued for all the faculties who completed management funded projects and published their work in carmelight Journal
Incentives were given for the faculties who published their papers in UGC listed and 0.8 above impact factored journals.
- External Research Committee meeting was conducted on 18th July 2018, Eleven External Members.
- Title: Development of Methodology to use vermiproducts as plant growth regulators in cultivation of Commercial Crops.Principal investigator-Ms. K.S.GeethaYear: 2011-2013, Amount: 10, 29,500/-
- Title: Transfer of mass production technology of bio-control agent on semi-synthetic diet to grape growers for management of grape mealybugs.Principal investigator- Dr. Gayathri Devi S.SYear: 2013-2016, Amount: 14, 93,000/-
- Title: Promotion of organic farming by safe methods in selected Bangalore rural districts by using vermicompost products, biofertilizers, botanicals and biocontrol agents (entomopathogens).Principal investigator- Dr. Gayathri Devi S.S year: 2016-2019Amount: Rs 26, 00,873/-
- DBT star college scheme recognition for seven departments (zoology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics, and Mathematics &Microbiology). Release of first installment 50Lakh out of 77lakh.
- DST – “Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST)”was sanctioned.
- “Analytical training in Instrumentation” Under DST FIST for post graduate students on 30th and 31st August 2017.
- Through research center a credit course of 8 credits was conducted for undergraduate students in biological sciences. The course was successfully completed with strength of 10 students (2013-2016).
Course title: Advanced Techniques in Biological research
- Two day training program on PCR was held for UG Microbiology students on 14th and 16th February 2015.
- Mount Carmel College (Autonomous) was recognized as an SIRO – Scientific Industrial Research organization by DSIR (Department of Scientific& Industrial Research) was extended. This recognition helps the institution to collaborate with various reputed industries and premiere research institutes
Management Funded Projects
- 2014-2015: twenty three proposals were selected and awarded wherein eight were inter departmental projects of 10,000/- each; fifteen were departmental projects of 5000/- each.
Total Management contribution: 1, 55,000/-
- 2015-2016: thirteen proposals were selected and awarded wherein five were interdepartmental projects of 10,000/- each; eight were departmental projects 5000/- each.
Total Management contribution: 90,000/-
- 2016-2017: twelve proposals were selected and awarded.
Total Management contribution: 71,000/-
- 2017-2018: Nineteen proposals were selected and awarded wherein thirteen were minor research projects of 10,000-15000 each, six were major research projects.
Total Management contribution: 8, 47,300/-
- 2018-2019: twenty five proposals were selected and awarded.
Total management contribution: 9, 55,000/-