The department of sociology was established in 1948. The department comprises of committed, dedicated, highly qualified and experienced teachers in the department. The syllabus offered is according to the recent trends in the society and the various methods are used to evaluate the students. Sociology is an empirical science and holistic science with strong theoretical foundations. The students are exposed to empirical understanding of the contemporary society through field visits to industry, village, tribal settlements, volunteering in NGOs- CRY, U & I, Vimochana, CARE, Global Concerns and internships in industries. The faculties impart required skills for research, social entrepreneurship, social counseling, gender sensitization, communication, academic writing, critical thinking, sociology of industry and work.
Head of the Department
Vision & Mission
To provide holistic, interdisciplinary and value based education, to develop a critical, socially conscious, responsible young generation of learners, researchers, trainers, leaders, and social entrepreneurs.
- The motto of the department is to provide holistic education to the young generation of the nation.
- Various topics of social concern and social justice are incorporated in the syllabus.
- To give equal importance to practical, theoretical and research aspects of discipline.
- To create critical bent of mind to assess social reality.
- To impart value based education.
- To train and provide skills for the leading job roles in contemporary times.
- Social Mobility Through MNCs Social Mobility through MNC’Ss: A Sociological Study of Product Promoters, Helpers and Sales Girls in Shopping Malls, Global Brand Shops and Food Joints in Bangalore.
- A Sociological Study of Family Dynamics in Bengaluru City.
- A Sociological Analysis of Socio-Economic Political and Health Conditions of Women Villages under Nerelekere Panchyat.
- A Comparative Study Of Student Achievements And Teaching Methodology In The Private And Public Primary Schools in Urban Bengaluru.
- Human Rights Day week is celebrated annually by associating with more than 25 organizations. National level Human Rights seminar was conducted. Workshops on Human Rights, Women Rights, Rights of Minorities, Rights of Children, Documentary making, Research Proposal, Academic Writing, Social Entrepreneurship, Innovative teaching methodologies for government school teachers were organized. Inter-Class competitions are conducted during ADHAMYA – Sociology Fest. Two Symposiums on ‘Myths and Realities of Gender’, ‘Voices of Indigenous People’ and ‘Pradiptha’ Exploring Career Opportunities in Sociology were hosted.