The Department of Statistics was established in the year 1989. The nomenclature was modified to Department of Statistics and Analytics in 2017. Statistics was offered with Mathematics and Computer Science as a B.Sc (CMS) course from 1989. In the year 1993, an inter-disciplinary course B.Sc (EMS) was started where Statistics was included along with Mathematics and Economics. The primary objective of the department is to impart education in Statistics, to give an in-depth knowledge of Statistics and its applications across domains. Be it Biology, Psychology, Economics, Finance, Management or any other field, Statistics plays an important role to draw inferences about sampled populations, to inculcate logical reasoning in students and improve their analytical skills. In the present era of Data Science and Analytics a good grounding in Statistics is a much desired pre-requisite. Under NEP, from 2021 onwards the department offers Dual Discipline Honours Programme with departments of Mathematics, Computer Science and Economics.
In addition to B.Sc courses, the department also offers a Bachelor of Vocation course in Analytics from 2014. The course was initially sponsored by UGC. This industry-integrated course draws its visiting/guest faculty from various companies of the IT sector. The aim of this course is to bridge the academia-industry gap. The department also handles the Bio-Statistics and the Probability and Statistics courses which are a part of the curriculum of many post-graduate programs offered by different departments of the college.
- To Impart Skill Based Education.
- To Empower Women With Analytical And Logical Skills.
- To Inculcate A Scientific Temper In Students.
- To Promote Amongst Students Analytical Skills In Thought And Writing.
- To Work Towards The Creation Of Strong And Confident Women Workforce.
- B.Sc (CMS) – 1989 onwards
- B.Sc (EMS) – 1993 onwards
- B.Voc (Analytics) – 2014 onwards
- B.Sc (MS/CS/ES) – 2021 onwards under NEP
Head of the Department
Dr. (Mrs) Lakshmi S.K. Associate Prof., M.Sc, Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
2022 - 23
- Conducted a workshop
1. On Poster Making on 23rd and 24th June 2022.
2. titled Basics of Statistical Computing Using R on 19th and 20th of August 2022 for the undergrad students of statistics of other colleges.
3. titled Let’s VIZ-IT Tableau for the faculty of the college.
4. titled Data Analysis using EXCEL for post graduate students of Life Sciences and Bio-Technology.
- Organised a workshop on Machine Learning and Some Applications on 2nd and 14th September 2022.
2021 - 22
- Organised a National Level Fest on the occasion of National Statistics Day on 29th June 2021.
- Organised a workshop on Marketing your Business on Social Media in the Post Covid Era on 6th May 2022.
2020 - 21
- Organised webinars on
1. Decision Making Through Analytics using Big Data And Machine Learning
2. Contributions of Women in Statistics and the Way Forward
3. Importance of Statistics in Artificial Intelligence
4. How will Analytics evolve in the post Covid era?
- Dr. Lakshmi S K was as the resource person for a webinar on Probability, Sampling Theory and their Applications conducted by the Department of Mathematics, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, Mysuru on 24th August 2020.
2019 - 20
- Organised a one-day workshop titled Statistical Thinking in Python for Academia and Industry on 29th February 2020.
2018 - 19
- Signed an MoU with Dataveda Samhita Pvt. Ltd. to facilitate the course delivery of some specialized subjects for the students of B.Voc (Analytics).
- Conducted a one-day workshop titled
1. Excel for Budding Home Scientists for the final year B.Sc (Home Science) students of Mount Carmel College on 11th August 2018
2. MS-Excel – A Tool for Analysing Survey Data on 24th November 2018
- Organised a two days Boot Camp on Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence with Python on 27 -28 August, 2018 in association with Kigyan School of Data Science Private Limited.
- The department regularly organises a number of WORKSHOPS on Statistical Computing and Data Analysis using tools like SPSS, R, Python, EXCEL and Tableau.
- 9 Management Research Projects completed by the Faculty of the Department.
- A number of activities like
1. Discuss and Grow- Students meet regularly and have discussions on current topics – academics or otherwise.
2. Alumnae Connect – The current students get connected (online/offline) with the alumnae of the department to discuss on their future prospects.
3. K-Sharing – A platform which facilitates sharing of knowledge amongst students through workshops and lectures.
- Students of B.Sc carry out Sample Surveys on topics of Current/National interest.
- Students of B.Voc (Analytics) take up projects with mentoring from Industry.
Dr. Lakshmi S K
Dean & Associate Professor
Ms. Ambika C
HOD & Assistant Professor
Dr. Mamata Shiva Shankar
Dr. Rema V
Dr. Mohankumari C
Ms. Chandana J